SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fuel for an Origo Stove (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54510-fuel-origo-stove.html)

kwaltersmi 05-20-2009 10:18 AM

Fuel for an Origo Stove

I have a two burner (non-pressure) Origo stovetop. However, I'm having a hard time finding someplace that carries cooking alcohol to fuel the stove.

Can I simply use de-natured alcohol that's available at the hardware store in the paint section? The broker told me to get "soot free" alcohol, but I haven't found any anywhere.

Does anyone know if I can use white gas (Coleman Camp Fuel) in the Origo stove? The Camp Fuel seems to be available just about everywhere for very reasonable prices.

Thanks!

arf145 05-20-2009 10:39 AM

No way can you use white gas in that stove! Way more volatile. Big flame, maybe worse, unhappy outcome.

Denatured alcohol is what you want.

drgamble 05-20-2009 10:45 AM

yes - denatured alcohol from the hardware store is exactly what you want - most cans even have some fine print on there that a rv/boat stove is an accepted use.

kwaltersmi 05-20-2009 01:03 PM

I picked up a liter of Sunnyside's denatured alcohol. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it's sooty or not before I pay a premium for the "soot-free" labeled alcohol.

Jeff_H 05-20-2009 01:16 PM

I used to use the so called 'soot free' stove alcohol that Origo specifies. It made soot. I started buying alcohol at the hardware stove for half price and the soot issue went away.

Jeff

PBzeer 05-20-2009 08:19 PM

My experience was the same as Jeff's.

johnshasteen 05-20-2009 08:30 PM

We have the Origo electric/no-pressure alcohol and we use the stove alcohol from West Marine - We want no possibility of sooting up the electric burners.

bwindrope 05-20-2009 08:44 PM

Although this question has been adequately answered, I just have to chime in with my love of our Origo stove/oven. i adore the simplicity and unbreakable nature of the beast. Real old school. We use hardware store denatured alcohol and have only a little soot on the bottom of our pans. I hear it is harder to get dentaured alcohol in Mexico and other exotic ports but still manageable. Having two young boys makes me very happy to have no propane on our boat. My only alcohol complaint is the increased condensation when cooking in the NW winter. OK, I've satisfied my need to comment on Origo. :D

CLucas 05-20-2009 08:47 PM

Do Not Use White Gas (coleman Fuel)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 488000)
I have a two burner (non-pressure) Origo stovetop. However, I'm having a hard time finding someplace that carries cooking alcohol to fuel the stove.

Can I simply use de-natured alcohol that's available at the hardware store in the paint section? The broker told me to get "soot free" alcohol, but I haven't found any anywhere.

Does anyone know if I can use white gas (Coleman Camp Fuel) in the Origo stove? The Camp Fuel seems to be available just about everywhere for very reasonable prices.

Thanks!

Coleman Camp Fuel (white gas) is highly combustible and should NOT be used in your Origo stove. Stoves that use Coleman Camp Fuel use a pressurized tank (usually a manual pump) and deliver the fuel in a controlled atomized feed. Using it in an Origo non-pressurized stove will result in an explosion and likely severe burns (or worse) and property damage.

CalebD 05-20-2009 08:53 PM

I would think you could use some very pure moonshine or other 'legal' ethyl alcohol in a pinch - the higher proof the better. De-natured would be much cheaper though and the Kentucky 'corn whiskey' could be used for 'medicinal' purposes.