SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Backstay won't stay for long (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54513-backstay-wont-stay-long.html)

GilStump 05-20-2009 03:42 PM

Backstay won't stay for long
 
I have a 1977 Orion S&S 35. The fixed backstay's swaging is crackin. I was thinking of buying a long nut sta-lok and cutting the cable to fit. Or what about converting it to a running backstay? Would this benefit me or go against the design too much?

JomsViking 05-20-2009 04:07 PM

Replace the backstay
 
Why don't you replace the entire backstay, using stalok or norseman. While the wire may last longer, it must be old(ish) too, if the swage is cracking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilStump (Post 488086)
I have a 1977 Orion S&S 35. The fixed backstay's swaging is crackin. I was thinking of buying a long nut sta-lok and cutting the cable to fit. Or what about converting it to a running backstay? Would this benefit me or go against the design too much?


CalebD 05-20-2009 04:22 PM

Ok chickenpants, is it time to replace the standing rigging as well? Any meat hooks on those wires?
If it was me I would probably just replace the fitting without converting to running back stays but that is mostly 'cause I am lazy and cheap.
If the mast is keel stepped then it will most likely stay pointed up even if the back stay parted company with you - unless you were getting tossed around.
Is your boat in the NYC area or do you sail somewhere around Austin, Tx?
It was that white paste in kindergarten that used to taste so good!

zz4gta 05-20-2009 04:41 PM

I wouldn't go with running backstays, but I would go synthetic, as it will save a lot money in costs, and you can make it up yourself.

speciald 05-20-2009 05:22 PM

Replace the entire stay unless the wire is less than 5 years old. Returning from Tortola 2 weeks ago the stay on my stay sail (6 years old) snapped off just below the swage. Luckily, the halyard kept everything from hitting the deck. The rigging had had a complete inspection in the Fall and the stay had been taken off the boat in Febuary to replace some bearings on the furler. Sometimes you get no warning of failure - you've been warned. Have the rest of the rigging inspected as well.

zz4gta 05-21-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speciald (Post 488111)
Replace the entire stay unless the wire is less than 5 years old. Returning from Tortola 2 weeks ago the stay on my stay sail (6 years old) snapped off just below the swage. Luckily, the halyard kept everything from hitting the deck. The rigging had had a complete inspection in the Fall and the stay had been taken off the boat in Febuary to replace some bearings on the furler. Sometimes you get no warning of failure - you've been warned. Have the rest of the rigging inspected as well.

Another reason why I don't like SS rigging. It usually will last for a very long time, but give little to no warning before it fails.

WouldaShoulda 05-21-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4gta (Post 488293)
Another reason why I don't like SS rigging. It usually will last for a very long time, but give little to no warning before it fails.

Has sythetic rigging been around even as long as a decades old failed rig??

What warning signs od fatigue does it give??

zz4gta 05-21-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda (Post 488303)
Has sythetic rigging been around even as long as a decades old failed rig??

What warning signs od fatigue does it give??

No it hasn't. Synthetic line still hasn't been proven for 10 years plus. But if it starts to get fuzzy or frayed, you usually have time to change it out (at a fraction of the cost). It just takes more attention from a maintenance standpoint. SS rigging might show a meat hook, or it might not, and just decide it doesn't want to hang on anymore.

WouldaShoulda 05-21-2009 09:03 AM

I'll wait for the technology to mature, like the DVD player I bought last year!!

zz4gta 05-21-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda (Post 488318)
I'll wait for the technology to mature, like the DVD player I bought last year!!

lol, ain't that the truth.
Hopefully they'll get some better coatings to protect from UV damage, as that seems to be the biggest killer of the syn. lines. I'm a big fan of the syn. rigging, I don't like paying $160 for ONE SS shroud and waiting a week to get it. That being said, I plan to keep a SS forestay, and SS uppers. Don't want anyone on the boat getting 'careless' with a knife. :p


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012