Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2009

Fodder is on a distinguished road
Sail Cleaning in Southern Ontario

Hi All,

I have a 'new-to-me' 28' Islander that just went into the water last weekend. It was a learning experience, to say the least. I came home completely exhausted from 4 days work (it was a long weekend up here) and found the package I had been waiting for on my front doorstep. I managed to find a nicely cared for Main and 150% Genoa online for a price I could not turn down. They look to be in great shape but could both use a cleaning.

I'm looking to find a loft in the Toronto area that will clean them up nicely. I know that SailCare is the gold standard in the U.S., but am concerned that by the time I pay for shipping,currency conversion, etc.., it may not be worth my while.

Has anyone ever used AquaClean or Hurricane Canvas in Toronto? These are two possibilities I have found and would appreciate any reviews from those of you who might have used either of them.

Thank you in advance and I hope all of you are off to a great season. (Was that sandbar always there??)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Have not used either of those but North Sails does cleaning and maintenance..
Old 05-21-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I think Genco does sail cleaning and repairs as well. I will be in the Queens Quay store today and will find out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 05-21-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
I have all my sail/canvas work done at hurricane and have been happy with the service every time.
Robert is a great guy to deal with, quality workmanship and the best prices around.
Aquaclean can get pretty pricey.
why not clean the sails yourself?
I cleaned my own sails and they came out perfect.
It cost me $50 in initial materials plus about $40 per sail to safely clean them.
Aquaclean does offer a sail restoring service additional to their cleaning but im not sure what they do.I do know that for the cost per sail it works out to about 20% of the cost of a new sail.
I have a large sail inventory so DIY was the only affordable way to go.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 05-21-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2009

Fodder is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the advice, all. I'm going to give Hurricane a try and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-29-2011

johnston_lyall is on a distinguished road
Smile

Aquaclean a divson of MCL products and services is well known in Toronto and has been cleaning and rejuvenating sails and canvas for over 25 years I would highly recomend them
Old 12-06-2011

billielawless is on a distinguished road
Sail Care is NOT the Gold standard in the USA

I post here with a certain amount of chagrin as when I was looking for someone to clean our sails I found again and again sailors recommending Sail Care. So in the Fall of 2010 I bundled up both my main and genoa and off to Sail Care they went.
Our 42 Catalina has a main roller furling. When I launched last Spring 2011 I noticed a certain amount of difficluty when I first put up the main when furling the sail.
Subsequently over the next few weeks while out sailing it became almost impossible to furl the sail at all.
I consulted with Ullman Sails (David Eigenbrod) here in Cleveland. On examining the sail and learning where I had sent the sail to have it cleaned they instantly informed me that the process used by Sail Care actually removes the resins from the sails. Not exactly something one wants to do. As I learned the manufacturers of sail cloth go to great lengths to impregnate the material with resin and they use high heat to complete this process. The same process that Sail Care uses to get that dazzling white.
I then confirmed this report from Ullman Sails with three other reputable sail lofts around the country.
How could so many sailors recommend Sail Care I asked David, basically because they nothing about sails and follow one another down the road to ruin was his reply. Sure enough when I asked my own seasoned surveyor with whom I have absolute trust he remarked he knew nothing of sails
I have great looking sails, one of which is now worthless. I suggest that if you really think Sail Care is the Gold Standard that you speak first with a few reputable sail lofts. I will be surprised if ONE believes in the Sail Care process.

Last edited by billielawless; 12-06-2011 at 10:44 PM.