SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   looking for a cleat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54515-looking-cleat.html)

MtHopeBay 05-20-2009 05:32 PM

looking for a cleat

I'm looking for a downhaul cleat for my Balboa 24 mast. They are cleats that slide into the mast slot and are locked in place. I've seen them in O'Day 17 and Catalina 22 part schematics but can't find them online. The O'Day was a clam cleat and the Catalina a horn cleat. I think I'd prefer the clam cleat but either is better than nothing.
Mike

MtHopeBay 05-21-2009 12:32 PM

bump

I really want to find one.

Mike

zz4gta 05-21-2009 12:56 PM

Why not a cam cleat on the side of the mast?

14432 05-21-2009 01:17 PM

Assuming that your mast groove is round (i.e. for rope), you may need to look for this in separate pieces - (1)slugs for the track, (2)screws and (3)the right size cleat. Harken makes the necessary parts to attach mast track to a grooved mast via a slug system. There are also other slugs that I've seen in catalogs - one with a knurled knob that keeps the boom/gooseneck at a set height.

You may also be able to simply use a hex nut on the end of the screw and cut the screw to fit (if necessary). Loosely put the nuts on the screws after running through the cleat then run the nuts in the groove and tighten when you get it positioned. However, this would possibly damage the mast groove.

Edit - note that this is only for a horn cleat

JohnRPollard 05-21-2009 03:43 PM

If you strike out finding exactly the part you want, you could probably improvise very easily with something like this:

Jam Cleat

and mount it in the track using these:

Sail Track Stop Round

14432 05-21-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 488402)
If you strike out finding exactly the part you want, you could probably improvise very easily with something like this:

Jam Cleat

and mount it in the track using these:

Sail Track Stop Round

Nice find, JP

MtHopeBay 05-21-2009 07:05 PM

thanks

thanks for the help.

I seem to already have too many cleats on the mast and they're full of lines.

I need one for my downhaul and below the gooseneck in the sail slot would be ideal. I'm going to look into getting some aluminum bar or tube and tapping a peice to screw a cleat to. I have to measure some things to see what size and how things will fit but I should be able to put something together.

thanks again.
Mike

bobmcgov 05-21-2009 07:09 PM

Yar, generally these things are shop-made. A short length of 1/2"w x 1/4"t aluminum bar stock (available at hardware stores) tapped on centers for #10-24 screws would be my choice. A flat bar will grip the round mast slot just fine.:) It is a handy place for cleats & such.

pvanv1 05-22-2009 07:59 AM

We stock them in our chandlery. Local rigging shop makes them for us. You can do the same, as mentioned previously.

pdqaltair 05-22-2009 07:59 PM

Any cleat can be mounted in the track, particulary for small boats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtHopeBay (Post 488103)
I'm looking for a downhaul cleat for my Balboa 24 mast. They are cleats that slide into the mast slot and are locked in place. I've seen them in O'Day 17 and Catalina 22 part schematics but can't find them online. The O'Day was a clam cleat and the Catalina a horn cleat. I think I'd prefer the clam cleat but either is better than nothing.
Mike

Probably all you need to do is put the correct length bolts through it with nuts (no washers, because you want the nuts to catch), slide it into the opening, and slide it down and tighten firmly in place. The nuts will bite in. This works well if it is not far below the sail feed opening. Some times it takes a little fiddling, but I have done it a number of times.

If the nuts spin, try reaching up to them with a bent coat hanger or such inserted above of below.

Good luck.

A more elegant solution is to get a piece of ~ 1/2" aluminum bar and tap it to hold the bolts. No spinning. This is better if you have to go to the mast head, but it isn't really any stronger.