Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2009

BeneteauFirst24 is on a distinguished road
Question Plastimo Roller Reefing Problem

I bought my boat a year ago and am very happy with it except for a problem I have hauling up the jib.
I have a plastimo roller reefing system and when I try to hoist my jib, the jib haylard becomes progressively extremely tight as the jib goes up. i.e. three turns around the winch and a lot of force needed on the winch handle.
I am fairly new to sailing but it seems to me that it is taking excessive force.
The winch I am using is in perfect working order. The jib haylard is not stuck i.e. The jib haylard goes up and down - no problem when no jib attached. The leech tape is the correct size for the plastimo i.e. 6.5 mm. Also the jib comes down no problem, a small tug is all it takes to get it down and the leech tape and the sail itself are in very good condition.
Anyone have a similiar problem or any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Test to see if the halyards aren't crossed or wrapped around each other inside the mast by watching or feeling for movement in the other halyards when you move the jib halyard. That can sometimes lead to the problem you are experiencing.
Also, tie another line to the shackle and have someone put a reasonable load on it while you hoist the halyard all the way up without the jib attached. See if it happens then.

If you haven't already, apply a generous amount of McLube Sailcote to the luff tape.
Old 05-21-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Rig a down-haul on your upper swivel and haul it to the masthead without your sail to check your foil. If your halyard is not rigged with a halyard guide to angle the halyard about 10 degrees off the axis of the forestay, at some point someone might have gotten a halyard wrap at or near the masthead. If so, and they put the furling line on a winch and cranked it up, they may have torqued up the foil bending it out of round and/or crushing the tape slot. If that's the case, you'll need to replace the upper foil and add a halyard guide. If the upper swivel reaches the mast head without difficulty, the slot may be damaged by the foregoing, but might be opened up with a little elbow grease.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."