Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2009

electricc0wb0y is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to electricc0wb0y Send a message via AIM to electricc0wb0y Send a message via Skype™ to electricc0wb0y
Leaky Anchor Locker drain

I have a Spindrift 22 with a shallow anchor locker above the V-berth. A plastic tube runs from the anchor locker drain, through the cabin, and out the front of the boat (it is pretty short.) I am having a leak. I am 99% sure that it is a combination of the drain seal and cracked fiberglass. The leak has clearly degraded the fiberglass around the seal, but it has only started.

Should I get a professional in there to cut-out the old fiberglass and repair it? Will it suffice to seal the cracks very well and redo seal? Since the danforth goes up there, I'm afraid that the surface repairs may not hold.

This would also be my first fiberglass repair. If it is a sensitive job, then I'm not 100% confident in my work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
In general, just attempting to seal the cracks with some goo applied to the top will not solve the problem for any period of time. Since this is not a structural issue, I would not hesitate to attempt a repair yourself. West Products has excellent literature and repair guides to show you how to proceed with a repair.
Old 05-23-2009

Send a message via ICQ to electricc0wb0y Send a message via AIM to electricc0wb0y Send a message via Skype™ to electricc0wb0y
Thanks a lot I read up on that and it doesn't seem to be very hard. Looks like the worst parts will be making a mold and drilling out the hole. How should the drain plug be installed to keep it from leaking?

Last edited by electricc0wb0y; 05-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2009

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Drain plug? you lost me on that. I don;t see why you'd plug your anchor locker drain. Anyway, I wsa going to make a comment of encouragement. Glassing is on of those things that isn't as scary as you might thing, and what a great chance to try it out, if it still leaks you'll be able to see it easily and try again. Good luck
Old 05-23-2009

Sorry, I just meant the drain. I was feeling a little overwhelmed this morning, but you're right. It is a great opportunity to try! I was looking in there today and a previous owner covered up the leak with some cream colored crap. Obviously that didn't work forever.

I have narrowed down and diagnosed all my issues. Now its time to deal with them. These all are lessons learned for retirement on a bigger boat, lol!