Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15 Zinc(s)

I've been able to successfully change the zinc that's right after the water pump. But so far I've been unable to unfreeze the one that's at the back of the engine up on the cylinder head. I've tried WD-40 and a breaker bar, I've tried rapping it with a hammer to see if that would break it loose, but so far I'm not having any luck getting it to come loose. The fact that it's in a bad location for getting maximum leverage doesn't help either.

So... In the mean time while I struggle with this... How critical is that particular zinc in a Yanmar 2QM15 as long as the other one is new?

And if anyone has any suggestions for a freeing stubborn "square" bolt, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

No opinions or suggestions on this one?

I noticed in the service manual that the plate this zinc screws into (the same one that the temperature sensor screws into), comes off the engine with 4 small bolts. I may try to remove the entire plate. That way I can get it into a vise and get more leverage on the zinc bolt.

I'm assuming that there's nothing but water flowing behind this plate.

Last edited by backcreeksailor; 05-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2009

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
Try PB Blaster instead of WD40. It is made for penetrating and loosing corroded items. Much better than WD40 which is a water displacer and lubricant. Here is their site ..:: Blaster Chemical Companies, Inc. - Product Detail ::..
Old 05-25-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem and removed the four smaller bolts with success. Put the plate in a vise added PB blaster, heat ect. and no cigar removing the larger bolt. Came to terms that this was how I was going to replace the zincs from now on. You'll have to make a new gasket, I made several for later use. Also suggest putting a little Never/Seize on those four bolts.
Bill,
Old 05-26-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I soaked mine with PB Blaster for a few days before getting it off with a wrench. It was not easy and I used some anit-sieze when reinstalling with hopes it will be easier next time.
Old 05-27-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
How did you get the one off just after the water pump? Mine is stuck solid and the whole cylinder fitting wants to move instead of the zinc connection. Yanmar doesn't stock the cylinder fitting anymore, so replacing it may be difficult. Haven't tried PB Blaster yet, so that might work. The plates on the engine for the other zinc and temp sensor are still available if you need to replace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 05-27-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I had a problem with the zinc in the front of my engine as well. I ended up using vice-grips to unscrew the two short threaded tubes that the water lines attach to. Then I unscrewed the cylinder fitting from the block, put that in a BIG vice with a lot of help from a torch and a breaker bar I was able to free up the zinc.

Granted I got it out after I wasted 3 days trying to keep the cylinder fitting in place.
Old 05-29-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWingCA View Post
How did you get the one off just after the water pump? Mine is stuck solid and the whole cylinder fitting wants to move instead of the zinc connection. Yanmar doesn't stock the cylinder fitting anymore, so replacing it may be difficult. Haven't tried PB Blaster yet, so that might work. The plates on the engine for the other zinc and temp sensor are still available if you need to replace it.
The cylinder wanted to turn with mine too. But a pair of channel lock pliers keeping it from rotating did the trick for me.
Old 05-30-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
I've been able to successfully change the zinc that's right after the water pump. But so far I've been unable to unfreeze the one that's at the back of the engine up on the cylinder head. I've tried WD-40 and a breaker bar, I've tried rapping it with a hammer to see if that would break it loose, but so far I'm not having any luck getting it to come loose. The fact that it's in a bad location for getting maximum leverage doesn't help either.

So... In the mean time while I struggle with this... How critical is that particular zinc in a Yanmar 2QM15 as long as the other one is new?

And if anyone has any suggestions for a freeing stubborn "square" bolt, I'm all ears.

I had the same trouble with mine.. YES,YES,YES it's very important both are replaced, if you allow the one you cannot get out to remain in place it will break down to a point where it will clog the water passages with material, then you'll be up for pulling the entire head off.

Mine don't have square head bolts so I was able to fit a socket on them. Took a lot to free the one on the back. I tried shock cooling it with stuff you buy in a pressure can from auto shops, that did not on it's own do much, tried "very" carefully heating it then cooling it it WD40.
Eventually I just had to brace myself against the hull in the quarter berth and put a foot on the spanner and push for all I was worth. It went with a "bang", since then I make sure I undo it every six months.

Mychael

Last edited by Mipcar; 05-30-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2009

catamount is on a distinguished road
A 12-point socket will fit on the square head for the zinc covers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation