Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-24-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Head failure...

...in every sense of the words.

So my Raritan Cricket compact manual head sprung a leak and I think I need to get a new one. Raritan no longer sells rebuild kits for this model - and I really don't think it would help, as the plastic housing has deformed around the fasteners so much, the main gasket is letting water squirt right by despite my well-intended calking job and all the pleasures of squirming around in that environment while the rest of the world is sailing around Memorial Day weekend.

I've searched the forums and have found some recommendations. Raritan seems to have a good rep (and I suppose mine has served it's time 'under' me for about 10 good years). So I'm inclinded to stay with Raritan.

In reading other posts, I saw a reference to the fact that the bowl may be standard model and could be used on a new pump. Anybody know have any information about how to do this? Is it just a call to Raritan?

Other advice welcome as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2009

curtis34208 is on a distinguished road
Ah, the joys of boat ownership....

My experience with distorted head pump housing (Raritan and others) is that once this happens the only effective long-term solution is to replace the housing....caulking, clamping, adding o-rings/gaskets...just never works out for long...
Old 05-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Raritan now sells the base and pump for the Raritan PHII and PHC as replacement units and you may well be able to re-use the bowl from your cricket on the PHC... Sailboatowners.com has them as a normal order item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post

So my Raritan Cricket compact manual head sprung a leak and I think I need to get a new one. Raritan no longer sells rebuild kits for this model - and I really don't think it would help, as the plastic housing has deformed around the fasteners so much, the main gasket is letting water squirt right by despite my well-intended calking job and all the pleasures of squirming around in that environment while the rest of the world is sailing around Memorial Day weekend.

I've searched the forums and have found some recommendations. Raritan seems to have a good rep (and I suppose mine has served it's time 'under' me for about 10 good years). So I'm inclinded to stay with Raritan.

In reading other posts, I saw a reference to the fact that the bowl may be standard model and could be used on a new pump. Anybody know have any information about how to do this? Is it just a call to Raritan?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I suspect when you price the cost of the parts needed, it will come close to are even exceed the cost of new head. Over the years I had rebuilt my Groco HF a couple of times. It was due again last year and found that a new Jabsco wasn't much more than than a new pump unit for the Groco.
Old 05-26-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post

Thanks!
I recently yanked the Raritan head out of my boat and replaced it with a composting head. There was nothing wrong with the head itself, just the plumbing beyond the head. I threw out all the plumbing but kept the head, which is in good shape but which I will probably never use, since I have become a full convert to the composting head philosophy. You are welcome to the head, if you are willing to pick it up. I'm just over the CT border in NY state, off 84. PM for better directions if you are interested.
Old 05-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the Jabsco heads are a pretty low-quality unit, and that you're generally much better off avoiding them. This isn't only my opinion, but that of Peggie Hall, doyene of the marine plumbing world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I suspect when you price the cost of the parts needed, it will come close to are even exceed the cost of new head. Over the years I had rebuilt my Groco HF a couple of times. It was due again last year and found that a new Jabsco wasn't much more than than a new pump unit for the Groco.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that the Jabsco heads are a pretty low-quality unit, and that you're generally much better off avoiding them. This isn't only my opinion, but that of Peggie Hall, doyene of the marine plumbing world.
SD, I had reservations for similar reasons, but talked to a number of friends who were happy with theirs and found a number of good customer reviews on the web. It seems to be as well made as my old Groco and has worked flawlessly for over a season. So far so good.
Old 05-27-2009

Attention genieskip:

Thank you for the generous offer. I am very close to you - I work in Danbury, CT. Can you tell me the model # so I can be sure it will fit?

Similar PM left for you.

Again, many thanks.
Old 06-06-2009

Hey Genieskip,

Head works great.....whoohoo!!!

Thanks for being a packrat...if ever I can return the favor, just let me know. So great to be able to enjoy my favorite seat on the boat again!

Thanks to you and all the good people on this website.

Fair winds, all.

Pub911 s/v Serena
New Haven CT
Old 06-06-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
..............You are welcome to the head, if you are willing to pick it up................
Are you CRAZY?! Used toilets are required decorations for the front of every trailer in my state. They go right next to the used water heater in the front yard and are always back dropped by a piece of tin. (I don't know where the piece of tin comes from)

And if used toilets are in such demand I can only imagine what an honest to God used MSD would go for.

Sell it! Or at least put a for sale sign on it so someone will steal it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.