Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Gee, for me that would be about $1,500 for only a one year guarantee.
Shelter Island quoted me around 1600.00 and if my diver is one of their approved bottom cleaners, we get a additional coat on the leading surfaces at no charge

and I think it's a 3 day job......something like that

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 05-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Shelter Island quoted me around 1600.00 and if my diver is one of their approved bottom cleaners, we get a additional coat on the leading surfaces at no charge

and I think it's a 3 day job......something like that
Is that two coats on everything else?
Old 05-28-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I pulled the quote and this is how it reads;

Haul vessel, Hydrowash bottom and hardstand. Wetstand entire bottom with 60 grit wet/dry, High speed sand away any failing bottom paint above the water line that is dry or chipping or that diver has may have rubbed bare. Feather all edges and apply high-build epoxy primer. Strip all underwater metals to bare metal ( such as struts trim-tabs,thru-hulls etc. ) Apply zinc chromate epoxy and two coats of high-build epoxy to bare metal. Apply one coat ( two with yard approved diver ) Pro-line #1088, Interlux Super KL or Seahawk Sharkshin bottom paint to entire bottom and two coats to the waterline, leading edges, hardware and all high-wear areas. Launch vessel. Entire process takes approximately three days. This price includes the above listed paints and labor to change zincs

Note: Extra charge for antifouling paints note listed above

Vessel/Length: 37' sail

Price: $1480.00

So I pulled a Pelosi on the extra paint without one of their approved divers; You get one coat AF with two at leading edges, waterline & high-wear areas, you get two coats with a approved dive with three everywhere else

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-28-2009

BTW give me 2 weeks and I'll the starboard side teak ready to look at.......(I hope) I've run at of 3 day weekends...

Old 05-28-2009
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
... the paint industry says that TBT will metabolize within 3 days.
This is utterly absurd. Metals do not metabolize in 3 days. Metals definitively cause some diseases (mercury poisoning, lead poisoning) and have been implicated in others (Alzheimerís, MS). To say tin will not harm marine life also defies common sense. Where do you think it's anti-fouling properties come from?
Old 05-28-2009
Grasshopper

Quote:
I pulled the quote and this is how it reads;

Haul vessel, Hydrowash bottom and hardstand. Wetstand entire bottom with 60 grit wet/dry, High speed sand away any failing bottom paint above the water line that is dry or chipping or that diver has may have rubbed bare. Feather all edges and apply high-build epoxy primer. Strip all underwater metals to bare metal ( such as struts trim-tabs,thru-hulls etc. ) Apply zinc chromate epoxy and two coats of high-build epoxy to bare metal. Apply one coat ( two with yard approved diver ) Pro-line #1088, Interlux Super KL or Seahawk Sharkshin bottom paint to entire bottom and two coats to the waterline, leading edges, hardware and all high-wear areas. Launch vessel. Entire process takes approximately three days. This price includes the above listed paints and labor to change zincs

Note: Extra charge for antifouling paints note listed above

Vessel/Length: 37' sail

Price: $1480.00

So I pulled a Pelosi on the extra paint without one of their approved divers; You get one coat AF with two at leading edges, waterline & high-wear areas, you get two coats with a approved dive with three everywhere else
I don't get why I have to use one of their approved divers to get two coats on the haul. I figure if I'm willing to pay for two coats, I should get two coats no mater what diver I use...What difference should it make to them...am I missing something here?
Old 05-28-2009
Grasshopper

Quote:
BTW give me 2 weeks and I'll the starboard side teak ready to look at.......(I hope) I've run at of 3 day weekends...
I'm looking Friday
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I don't get why I have to use one of their approved divers to get two coats on the haul. I figure if I'm willing to pay for two coats, I should get two coats no mater what diver I use...What difference should it make to them...am I missing something here?

Oh I'm sure if you wanted to PAY for the second coat it wouldn't matter WHO your diver is., I think this is just their basic no frills package

My diver is on their list and just happens to have his office in their yard.......go figure

Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylube
I'm looking Friday
It's still ugly, I've only stripped up to the starboard gate, that scroll work killed a lot of time, but it's sure gonna look good

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 05-28-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fix tag
Old 05-28-2009
Grasshopper

Quote:
Oh I'm sure if you wanted to PAY for the second coat it wouldn't matter WHO your diver is., I think this is just their basic no frills package

My diver is on their list and just happens to have his office in their yard.......go figure
I've hear decent things about the Shelter Island yard, and that's where we will probably will take our boat, but I'm going to ask them what their rationale is for the two coats/our diver policy//one coat/your diver policy.