SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mounting points for cable ties?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jarcher 
#1 ·
Hi All...

I need to secure the bilge pump hose so that it can not rub against the drive shaft. There is only one place the hose can enter the bilge, and if i leave it lose it will contact the shaft.

I am looking for something I can glue to the side of the bilge and then put a cable tie through. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Be aware, that most of those types of cable tie mounts fail after a short while, if under any tension. I would recommend using the weld-mount system or screw-mounted cable tie mounting points, rather than double-sided adhesive ones.

#8 ·
screw-mounted cable tie mounting points
Anyone contemplating this on a cored hull should be very, very careful. If the screw penetrates the inner skin, it can create a pathway for water into the hull core. If you're going to do it anyway, bed the screw in some goop.

I would rather use the adhesive ties and replace them as they fail, or be certain that any screws go into uncored areas.

#9 ·
Reminds me of a story...

This one time, a long time ago, I had a 1959 MGA that I was working on. It was late at night, and I was very tired. There were several wires to the fuel pump that I needed to wire-tie up out of the way temporarily, so I hung them from the drive shaft.

THe repair worked fine, and I quickly forgot about the temporary fix.

Guess what happened?

That's right. Started up the car, and made it almost to the end of the driveway when the fuel pump quit for some reason.

on your question - get a hunk of Teak from somewhere, wipe it and the hull area down with acetone, 5200 the teak to the hull, and you have a place to attach all sorts of things - your bilge hose, or even wires to your fuel pump.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

#11 ·
Good idea...lower maintenance than teak too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.