SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Westerbeake 46 died (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54660-westerbeake-46-died.html)

jongoose 05-26-2009 06:21 AM

Westerbeake 46 died

Monday on the way back from St Michaels my Westerbeake 46 started to make a very different noise it was almost like a screach and a tap all at the same time. I checked the water temp and it was below 140 and the oil pressure was about 55. I went below and as I opened the door to the engine compartment the engine made a fairly loud noise a came to an abrupt hault. After we got a tow home I was able to turn it over but not start and there is still the screaching noise at least that is the best way I can describe it. The engine is 1985 and I dought anything major has ever been done to it. Any suggestions or comments?

r.furborough 05-26-2009 07:32 AM

From you description of the noises it sounds like a crankshaft bearing has failed. If you are not able to evaluate the engine yourself I would have it inspected by a mechanic, I suspect you are looking at a rebuild of the bottom end as a minimum.

If you need a Mechanics referral PM me.

jongoose 05-26-2009 03:20 PM

I thought maybe a crank bearing when it happened later I was able to turn the engine over but it would not start so I thought dropped valve, someone else said timing chain. I think I will give it to an expert to diagnose and then figure out how to fix it.

Thanks R.F

Valiente 05-26-2009 04:21 PM

Doesn't sound positive, but on the other hand, a rebuild is cheaper than something new, and is going to be good in most cases for a further 20 years.

jongoose 05-27-2009 06:23 AM

Update
Yesterday after work I went back to the boat and checked the oil while I picked up the manual for further study. The oil level was fine and I thought I would turn the engine over a few times to see if I could hear the noise again. The engine started right up to my surprise and for the few minutes I ran it sounded normal. I even put it in forward and reverse and all seemed normal. Now I am really stumped?????????

sailingdog 05-27-2009 06:47 AM

Could it be that you had something wrapped on the shaft and now, somehow, it isn't there any longer???

JohnRPollard 05-27-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 489744)
Could it be that you had something wrapped on the shaft and now, somehow, it isn't there any longer???

Yeah, a line wrapped on the shaft will cause all kinds of strange noises and trouble. But if you were in neutral it should have run okay.

Have you checked the fluid levels in your transmission?

How about your transmission cables?

Did you recently adjust your stuffing box?

Have you checked the alternator and belt? Does the pulley spin freely (when the belt is removed)?

Do you have mechanical/engine driven refrigeration?

Etc?

aa3jy 05-27-2009 02:01 PM

Jongoose we heard of your plight on 156.800Mhz(Ch 16) this past weekend..

see: Destinations; Chesapeake Bay: Memorial Day Weekend 2009

jongoose 05-27-2009 02:35 PM

sailingdog - I did think about something around the shaft but the sound was not indicative of that and I dismissed it when she started last night and ran fine in forward and reverse.

John - I have not checked the transmission fluids yet, the cable is fine, have not bothered the stuffing box and the alternator seems fine and the refrigeration is 12v

all - I am starting to think about a hydrolock. I can not tell you if there was steam in the exhaust just before it locked up but it could explain the noise, the fact that it locked up, the fact that it would not turn over in the bay but did finally turn over once back in the marina and then a day later started right up as the steam in the cylinder disapated. It was rocking and rolling with large ships going by as we were on our way out of Eastern Bay. I wonder if it could have shaken enough water loose from the seperator to cause what happened? Like I said this is a real puzzle.

aa3jy - Thanks! And thank goodness for unlimited towing! That little trip home on a holiday would have cost me $1,200.00.

sailingdog 05-27-2009 02:52 PM

If it was truly a hydrolock situation, I would be really amazed that your engine wasn't seriously damaged. Steam will not hydrolock an engine—only a sufficient amount of liquid water will do so...and generally seriously damage the engine in the process.