Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2009
Cabo Rico 38

jongoose is on a distinguished road
Westerbeake 46 died

Monday on the way back from St Michaels my Westerbeake 46 started to make a very different noise it was almost like a screach and a tap all at the same time. I checked the water temp and it was below 140 and the oil pressure was about 55. I went below and as I opened the door to the engine compartment the engine made a fairly loud noise a came to an abrupt hault. After we got a tow home I was able to turn it over but not start and there is still the screaching noise at least that is the best way I can describe it. The engine is 1985 and I dought anything major has ever been done to it. Any suggestions or comments?
Old 05-26-2009

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
From you description of the noises it sounds like a crankshaft bearing has failed. If you are not able to evaluate the engine yourself I would have it inspected by a mechanic, I suspect you are looking at a rebuild of the bottom end as a minimum.

If you need a Mechanics referral PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2009
Cabo Rico 38

I thought maybe a crank bearing when it happened later I was able to turn the engine over but it would not start so I thought dropped valve, someone else said timing chain. I think I will give it to an expert to diagnose and then figure out how to fix it.

Thanks R.F
Old 05-26-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't sound positive, but on the other hand, a rebuild is cheaper than something new, and is going to be good in most cases for a further 20 years.
Old 05-27-2009
Cabo Rico 38

Update
Yesterday after work I went back to the boat and checked the oil while I picked up the manual for further study. The oil level was fine and I thought I would turn the engine over a few times to see if I could hear the noise again. The engine started right up to my surprise and for the few minutes I ran it sounded normal. I even put it in forward and reverse and all seemed normal. Now I am really stumped?????????
Old 05-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Could it be that you had something wrapped on the shaft and now, somehow, it isn't there any longer???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Could it be that you had something wrapped on the shaft and now, somehow, it isn't there any longer???
Yeah, a line wrapped on the shaft will cause all kinds of strange noises and trouble. But if you were in neutral it should have run okay.

Have you checked the fluid levels in your transmission?

How about your transmission cables?

Did you recently adjust your stuffing box?

Have you checked the alternator and belt? Does the pulley spin freely (when the belt is removed)?

Do you have mechanical/engine driven refrigeration?

Etc?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-27-2009

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Jongoose we heard of your plight on 156.800Mhz(Ch 16) this past weekend..

see: Destinations; Chesapeake Bay: Memorial Day Weekend 2009
Old 05-27-2009
Cabo Rico 38

sailingdog - I did think about something around the shaft but the sound was not indicative of that and I dismissed it when she started last night and ran fine in forward and reverse.

John - I have not checked the transmission fluids yet, the cable is fine, have not bothered the stuffing box and the alternator seems fine and the refrigeration is 12v

all - I am starting to think about a hydrolock. I can not tell you if there was steam in the exhaust just before it locked up but it could explain the noise, the fact that it locked up, the fact that it would not turn over in the bay but did finally turn over once back in the marina and then a day later started right up as the steam in the cylinder disapated. It was rocking and rolling with large ships going by as we were on our way out of Eastern Bay. I wonder if it could have shaken enough water loose from the seperator to cause what happened? Like I said this is a real puzzle.

aa3jy - Thanks! And thank goodness for unlimited towing! That little trip home on a holiday would have cost me $1,200.00.
Old 05-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it was truly a hydrolock situation, I would be really amazed that your engine wasn't seriously damaged. Steam will not hydrolock an engine—only a sufficient amount of liquid water will do so...and generally seriously damage the engine in the process.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.