Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2009

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Starter battery quits at crank

Hi all,
This weekend I ran into a problem with my starter battery that has me stumped, and I was wondering if anyone could offer a diagnosis.

I have a starter and a house bank on my sailboat with a 1-2-all battery selector switch. I put the switch on the starter battery (2) and got juice to my instrument panel, but when I hit the starter button the whole system lost power. My volt meter at the breaker box dropped to zero, but if I flipped the selector switch to 1 and then back to 2, power was restored but would die again when I attempted to start. I was able to get my engine to crank and run via my house bank, but this isn't a viable long-term solution.

I couldn't identify anything physically wrong with my connection, and the starter battery shows voltage in the 13+ range but just won't crank. This is the first time it's happened - any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Yep, yep, that is a sure sign of a bad connection.

Check at the battery first then at the starter.

Clean and tighten.

What is happening is that the conection is just enuff to power the gages and as soon as you ask for cranking power the small amount of contact is being melted away.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 05-26-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Hi all,
This weekend I ran into a problem with my starter battery that has me stumped, and I was wondering if anyone could offer a diagnosis.

I have a starter and a house bank on my sailboat with a 1-2-all battery selector switch. I put the switch on the starter battery (2) and got juice to my instrument panel, but when I hit the starter button the whole system lost power. My volt meter at the breaker box dropped to zero, but if I flipped the selector switch to 1 and then back to 2, power was restored but would die again when I attempted to start. I was able to get my engine to crank and run via my house bank, but this isn't a viable long-term solution.

I couldn't identify anything physically wrong with my connection, and the starter battery shows voltage in the 13+ range but just won't crank. This is the first time it's happened - any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
This is the classic sign of a bad battery (assuming you have been keeping it fully charged and your connections are good). Take it to a battery shop and ask them to test it. The service is free. If you need a new one, you'll be in a position to buy it right there.
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-26-2009

ewingengr is on a distinguished road
wont crank

Starters require a lot of amps as batteries age they can still have 13 volts but no ability to deliver required amps. If battery is 2 or more years old it is suspect. Check all connections for corrosion. Also I had to take apart my battery switch to clean connections when a battery could not deliver.
Old 05-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
What I would do...

Go to the boat and pull the battery out of your car. Replace it momentarily with the starter battery. See if it cranks. If not, you know it is connections. If it does, you need a new battery. It could be either one (batt or connections).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-26-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
You have connection problem. Check all the cable connections from your starter battery to your selection switch. Dirty or loose connecytions are likely to cause this.
Old 05-26-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
A lot of people jump to the conclusion immediately that it is a bad battery, buy a new one and once installed and functioning, they think another job well done when, in fact, as a couple of others have suggested, it is a bad connection which fits your description perfectly and not the battery they just replaced for no valid reason. All these folks do is stimulate the economy (albeit a tiny fraction) and obtain a clean connection while in the process of switching out the batteries.

Always start with the easy stuff...
Old 05-27-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The irony of this is that when the "dodgy" battery gets replaced, the engine cranks and you will say "Yep, they were right, the battery was knackered"

But in the process of replacing the battery, all the connections have been re-made properly and you will have thrown away a decent battery.

Re-make all the connections first, then go for for the battery.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-27-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
One other note--a bad battery conection will hamper the battery's ability to take a charge.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 05-27-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

A real simple test for you is to swap the connections from battery 1 to battery 2 and vice versa. This will tell you a number of things:

1. If the problem stays with the battery (engine now starts with battery 2 selected, and does not start with battery 1) then the battery is bad.

2. If the problem stays the same (engine does not start with battery 2 and does start with battery 1) you have a wiring problem

3. If the problem goes away you had a connection problem.

Good luck,
Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.