Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
C&C Molded Headliner Removal ?

This one is for anyone that's ever done this or seen this done on a pre-90's era C&C Yacht.

The older C&C's from when C&C still owned the company had/have molded head liners. They are aesthetically pleasing as long as they're not deteriorating or sagging. But they have the same negative aspects as all head liners in that they reduce cabin height and they make installing new deck hardware a messy undertaking.

My particular 70 C&C headliner is in good shape. It's not sagging or falling apart anywhere. But at 6' tall, my head rubs along the 6' cabin height liner if I stand up straight, which isn't optimal for "my" use. So my questions are:
  1. In the C&C design, does this molded headliner provide any "necessary" addional structural strength/stability?
  2. How much of an undertaking would be involved in removing it and just painting the cabin ceiling?
  3. Generally speaking, would doing this reduce the value of the boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. That depends on whether the headliner is drilled into the core itself with plain screws. You would have to epoxy and sand down every hole.
3. My Viking 33 has a small headliner from the companionway hatch to about the front of a line drawn between the nav station and the galley sink. It's a C&C design. I put 1/4" backing plates on all deck gear and I have to say no one's ever said the lack of headliner (and the fact it yields 6' 1" of headroom by its absence) made the interior (painted in gloss white) "ugly".

Quite a few, however, have seen the visible backing plates and screws (capped with acorn nuts or grinded smooth by me) and commented "I wish I could get at the underside of my deck like that!"
Old 05-26-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I sail on a 1970 35 mark I

1. In the C&C design, does this molded headliner provide any "necessary" addional structural strength/stability?

Its just there to look nice BUT it also covers a LOT of nuts and bolts that would gouge holes in your head and it hides a lot of wires

2. How much of an undertaking would be involved in removing it and just painting the cabin ceiling?

Cant really say

IHMP yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
...it yields 6' 1" of headroom by its absence...
Just out of curiosity... What was your headroom clearance before you removed the liner?
Old 05-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I sail on a 1970 35 mark I

Its just there to look nice BUT it also covers a LOT of nuts and bolts that would gouge holes in your head and it hides a lot of wires
All the wires I see going through my 1979 seem to be routed behind the side bulkhead panels. There doesn't appear to be anything entering or exiting beneath the liner.

The exposed bolts would be a concern, but there really wouldn't be anything attached to the center-line 2' area where anyone would typically be walking. The cabin top winches and clutches are above the galley to the sides of the companion way. And the line organizers are to the sides near the wall that separates the forward head and the cabin area.

I'm mainly looking for more headroom... Accessibility to the cabin top hardware is just a bonus.
Old 05-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The under-deck surface will not be pretty - esp since they knew it would be hidden by the headliner. I'd expect there's going to be significant work required to make it visually pleasing (and all of it overhead/upside down with fillers, fairing and sanding)

Not a job I'd relish myself.. and you will devalue the boat compared to sisterships left original, IMO....

Also, I'd do some investigating to see just how much headroom you'd actually "gain"... all this work might only get you a 1/2 inch or so - would that be worth it?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Also, I'd do some investigating to see just how much headroom you'd actually "gain"... all this work might only get you a 1/2 inch or so - would that be worth it?
That's why I'm asking first... "Measure twice cut once"

If the gain was only 1/2", then it would be a definite "no" it wouldn't be worth it. But if I could grab an 1-1/2 or more then it becomes compelling.
Old 05-27-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
The removeal of the headliner would only give you about a half inch.
If its anything like my 33 its bonded in certain areas and would have to be cut into pieces to clear the bulkheads for removal.
Take your shoes off, its less work.
Old 05-27-2009

rodgerdodger is on a distinguished road
I thought the same thing as you until I removed the headliner and saw how much exposed hardware there was. I bashed my head so many times during the 2 days that the headliner was out, there was no way I could go on without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
This one is for anyone that's ever done this or seen this done on a pre-90's era C&C Yacht.

The older C&C's from when C&C still owned the company had/have molded head liners. They are aesthetically pleasing as long as they're not deteriorating or sagging. But they have the same negative aspects as all head liners in that they reduce cabin height and they make installing new deck hardware a messy undertaking.

My particular 70 C&C headliner is in good shape. It's not sagging or falling apart anywhere. But at 6' tall, my head rubs along the 6' cabin height liner if I stand up straight, which isn't optimal for "my" use. So my questions are:
Old 05-27-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Our headliner is also bonded in a few places. It hides many of the mast wires to the panel as well as servong as a flat mount for some of the led lights we have.

I think as others said you are opening yourself up to ugly for 1/2 inch of room. We are thinking of running a few 1/2 mold pices of teak accross it to give it a different look

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner