Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2009

sittingcamel is on a distinguished road
Herreshoff 28 rigging without a Mizzen Mast

Hello,

I am relatively knew to the sailing community. My roomate just acquired a herreshoff 28 and has put me in charge of researching rigging options. Although we have all the appropriate rigging to install the mizzen mast we were considering rigging the boat as a sloop to save room. Does anyone have any advice, links or photos of how to best go about rigging the boat as a sloop? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
The boat is designed as cat ketch. Research the cat ketch rig. It is superior rig to sloop in many aspects.
Anyway, you cannot rig it as sloop, without redesigning entire boat. First, your freestanding main mast cannot support loads from foresail. Second, your hull is not designed for loads coming from stays and shrouds. Third, your main mast is just too small for sloop rig. Forth, what makes you thing that sloop rig takes less room? Freestanding Cat Ketch rig is simplest and most forward design.
And finally, cat ketch rig is very balanced rig, combined with properly designed hull, it is very forgiving rig to sail, most likely you will break this balance by switching to sloop rig.
Old 05-26-2009

Gene T is on a distinguished road
H28 or Modified H28? I had a M H28 about 30 years ago.

It will depend on where you sail. On San Francisco Bay I seldom used the Mizzen. Anything over about 12 knots and weather helm was severe. In light winds you have the option of using a Mizzen stay-sail, which looks great but probably doesn't help much. A mizzen is useful for the main-sheet mount. BUT, I would consider not using it. If for no other reason than the need to varnish/paint it every year.

Rigging should be easy. Only change would be a longer back-stay. You would probably want to split it.
Old 05-26-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
I might be wrong in my previous post. Are we talking about wooden H28 Ketch or newer Cat Ketch? I'll try to attach photo
Old 05-26-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
GeneT, that photo takes me back. My friend’s family boat was named “Piute” and they sailed her out of Sausalito for years. We used to race her in the Marconi Ketch 5 division in Master Mariners. Speaking of which was this past Saturday. I saw a couple of Frisco Flyers, but none of the 28’s (weren’t they called “Pacific Clippers”?). Anyways, the Flyer was 26’ and sloop rigged. Whereas the larger 28 was ketch rigged. Yes I remember well the wicked weather helm and rudder flutter when the mizzen was flying. We could never “jib ‘n jigger” to windward in the summertime breezes. But, the extra sail area was helpful when going down wind. We could rig either the “flying jib” (a.k.a. the genoa) or a staysail. The mainmast is way out of position to rig as a sloop. One nice thing about the mizzen was it’s stays formed a “birdcage” around the cockpit which was an added safety feature when going up and down the coast.
Old 05-27-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
GeneT nailed it with "It will depend on where you sail." and I would add that it will depend on where and how you intend to sail.
I have limited experience with a ketch rig having been on an Allied Seawind 32' ketch recently and I would suggest you keep the mizzen mast. A few reasons:
1 - that is the way the designer(s) intended it
2 - we found that the ketch would heave to or 'hove to' best with just the jib and mizzen sail
3 - it is going to cost more to rig it as a sloop then to put it back together as it is rigged (assuming all rigging is in useable shape)
4 - the main mast on a ketch rig is usually lower then it would be on a sloop rig the same size so it usually carries less sail area in the jib and main which is compensated for by a mizzen sail
5 - the ketch rig gives you more choices of sail plan then a sloop rig

What do you need to save space for?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
You better sell her and buy a sloop. The main mast of a ketch is not long enough. You need to change it. The position of the mast of a ketch is too far forward. You have to change the position. In case of a cat ketch the mast is too forward to be used as a sloop.
Old 05-28-2009

mawm is on a distinguished road
It depends on your H28. Many were built to have a sloop rig (mine is one). There is a lot of information at NZ H28 Yacht Owners' Association You might even get an answer on their bulletin board!
Old 06-02-2009

softshell is on a distinguished road
hey there. I'm the owner of the Herreshoff. It is a '66 wood herreshoff 28 made at far east yachts. I'm currently refinishing the mizzen and we hope to rig it this week or weekend. We have decided to not try to sail it as a sloop, and to learn more about sailing a ketch. Thanks for all the info. Does anyone have knowledge of how to rig the mizzen?
Old 06-02-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Mizzen mast on a ketch is rigged similiar to the main mast. The only difference is the head stay. Instead of connecting it to the boat, it is connected to the top of the main mast (do not know the English name). In some designs if you cannot rig a backstay, the shrouds are connected a little back of the mast line.