Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Using Wiring Harnesses

The "Crimp vs. Solder" thread made me curious about something ...

Here on land I sometimes make wiring harnesses to get signals and power from one place to another in an organized way and to minimize the connection points and use of terminal blocks. Question is, is it good practice to do this on a boat ?

If wiring harnesses are used on a boat, are there special kinds of connectors that are used, special ways of sealing the harness connectors, etc, to protect them from corrosion ? Where are wiring harnesses typically used on a boat ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Did you see this product?
EzAcDc - Simple Systems for Boat Wiring and Marine Electrical

What I don't like in this harness is the use of 16ga wire. It's overkill on a 25 footer, but I'm rewiring with 14ga. Also, looking at the measuring diagram from the website, it points out how simple a sailboat's wiring really is. There's no circuits in this harness for water pumps, inverters and the like.

Another thing to consider; even with a harness you have to mount wire clips, run split conduit or otherwise do all the tidying work which is probably more than 1/2 the job!

FWIW

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I replaced my wiring harness on my yanmar engine. I am sure it will last as long as the first one, but was very disappointed with the quality. No tinned wire, thin untined ground connectors. But the other option of making my own harness was to much. If I ever re power I may. But for the cost it should have been top notch.