Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
It can't be one way communication only because SPOT does give you a signal that the message has been received. I believe both lights stay on for a few seconds. I wish they stayed on longer because it's easy to miss the signal.

Again, I think it's a very useful tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I think this is not entirely true.

1) 121.5Mhz EPIRBs have been completely phased out afaik, and current EPIRBS produce no local signal of any kind. The SAR relies on the 406Mhz signal and, preferably, the GPS location sent with it.
Brak—

The 406 MHz EPIRBs still broadcast a 121.5 SART signal. From the ACR website on a GlobalFix 406 MHz EPIRB

Quote:
Transmits on 406 MHz (COSPAS-SARSAT) with your registered, unique, digitally-coded distress signal, and 121.5 MHz (SAR homing frequency)
Quote:
2) EPIRB signal registration with Coast Guard is not instantaneous. In fact, according to people that run Boston center that listens to EPIRB signals, it may take up to 12(!!) hours for them to get the signal. Don't ask me why, but thats what they say. Perhaps there is some handoff between the satellite network and their equipment.
That isn't much different from what happens at the SPOT messenger center when you push the 911 button.

Quote:
3) EPIRB coverage has its own gaps. On the other hand, Globalstar simplex network that is used by SPOT is in good shape and has no known issues.
The COSPAS/SARSAT network is a lot more reliable and has broader coverage than the Globalstar network, which has well-known satellite reliability problems.

Quote:
4) There is no way to know whether your EPIRB works until you actually use it, when it may be too late. As an engineer, I can't rely on any "self test". The only test of the device is actual activation and receipt of signal, end to end. SPOT is tested virtually all the time.
True, but modern manufacturing systems and field use of the EPIRBs means that they're pretty reliable.

Quote:
5) SPOT in tracking mode provides past history of your movement, as opposed to EPIRB which is essentially a single point. This may be very important in SAR because if they know where you've been they may have easier time finding where you are going.

So, personally, I think SPOT has a number of advantages over EPIRB. That said, I would prefer to have both for any offshore sailing - you never know what gives Locally SPOT is my choice.
Very true, but the SPOT Messenger doesn't have the proven field track record that the 406 MHz EPIRBs have yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, it does not acknowledge the message receipt AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
It can't be one way communication only because SPOT does give you a signal that the message has been received. I believe both lights stay on for a few seconds. I wish they stayed on longer because it's easy to miss the signal.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
We have a SPOT - we love it! We are taking our new to us Irwin Citation 34 home to Canada from Annapolis MD. We push it around noon and when we reach our destination. Or other times if we are near something cool - like the Statue of Liberty or half way through the C&D canal.

If you want to see what it looks like - look at our sailing blog at:

trip blog at: Mystery - the Trip Home

Rik and Linda
Mystery
Irwin Citation 34
Old 05-27-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post

That signal is just a notification that SPOT is "no longer sending". It does not mean SPOT knows that message was received. In fact, SPOT will tell you that "message was sent" even if it actually was not. Simplex is "one way".
Old 05-27-2009

AaronOnTheHudson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No, it does not acknowledge the message receipt AFAIK.
I use my spot for backpacking all the time. I think the confusion may be that the SPOT does not let you know if a tracking messages has been successfully sent. However, it does let you know if an OK, HELP, etc... message has been sent. The corresponding light will continue to flash until the message has been sent. If I recall correctly 2 solid lights will indicate a transmission, and 2 alternating lights indicate a failure. However, even after a failure a the light will continue to flash until the message has been sent. No flashing means the message was successfully sent (unless you have turned on tracking mode in which case the light will always be flashing).
2005 Catalina 250 WK #847
Old 05-27-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOnTheHudson View Post
I use my spot for backpacking all the time. I think the confusion may be that the SPOT does not let you know if a tracking messages has been successfully sent. However, it does let you know if an OK, HELP, etc... message has been sent. The corresponding light will continue to flash until the message has been sent. If I recall correctly 2 solid lights will indicate a transmission, and 2 alternating lights indicate a failure. However, even after a failure a the light will continue to flash until the message has been sent. No flashing means the message was successfully sent (unless you have turned on tracking mode in which case the light will always be flashing).

SPOT does not know if a message was sent. There is *no* downlink from the satellite back to SPOT. It is a one-way communication, no matter what lights show.

Globalstar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - read about "simplex".
Simplex communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-27-2009
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I think the confusion may be int he terminology, SPOT can tell you it sent the message, but doe snot know if it was received by the satellites or any other systems on the other end. Of course I do not own one, so I am not sure, but I think that's what the diffrent people might be saying?

I am a gadget geek and think the spot is very cool and useful, however I fear that on a long trip, if we set up to send messages every so often so people know we are OK, I know I will drop it in the bilge, let all the batteries die, or some how break the system and freak the family out when we do not check in for a few days.

I am still pondering if it is better to tell them "We will be fine, don't worry" and not check in regularly, or check in, but risk a major panic attack due to an accident?

I am thinking to get one, but only send an OK message if we are long over due but still OK. Kinda halfway in between. Being over due is likely, breaking the thing is likely, but having both go wrong and start a panic is a bit less likely.

Any other thoughts on the psychological side of spots on long distance cruising?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-27-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
I am a gadget geek and think the spot is very cool and useful, however I fear that on a long trip, if we set up to send messages every so often so people know we are OK, I know I will drop it in the bilge, let all the batteries die, or some how break the system and freak the family out when we do not check in for a few days.
I had spot operate for 3 days in a row. I also used the same set of batteries to operate it intermittently (4-5 hours a day) for an entire sailing season, many weekends. According to manual with appropriate batteries it will work in tracking mode for 14 days, and I think that's about right.

On my boat I have a place under the hardtop where it sits clipped on a piece of webbing, so it's easily accessible but can't go AWOL and is out of the way.

I realize it's limitations but I think it's features are certainly worth more and overall no other device gives that much good functionality for such (relatively) small price.
Old 05-27-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Dawg,

Nice write up, but there is one thing wrong with #1 in your case.

1. I'm OK
2. Help
3. 911—send help
4. Tracking update
I think it's a false statement.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.