Would Love Your Thoughts on Specific Barrier & Bottom Job Questions - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2009

BugsBunny is on a distinguished road
Would Love Your Thoughts on Specific Barrier & Bottom Job Questions

Hi everyone!

As mentioned in the "introduce yourself forum" I just wanted to lead in with an intro here -in case it was missed...

After the past year of reading at least half of these wisdom rich forums (I feel like I know everyone like neighbors now), researching for our first sailboat, my wife and I have finally decided on and purchased an ’86 Catalina 22! In fact we drove halfway across the country to do so. It was a long Memorial Day weekend that my wife and I will now forever memorialize for a whole new additional reason!

Now that we have our sailboat and a place to sail it, here in Colorado, I have practical questions I would appreciate direct advice and thoughts on. The first official question in these forums for me is related to the wonderful adventure of getting a bottom-job. I am not too sure what I will find when the Anti-foul is removed, but I suspect it will likely require a new barrier coat before a new application of anti-foul.

Given that the boat will be residing in a cold mountain lake during the summer season through mid- October (about 5 months), then trailered and covered the rest of the months. My first question is with the anti-foul; as I know I will need to do this regardless of the boat’s condition. So after looking extensively through the forums my unanswered questions on the bottom subject are as follows:

What is the appropriate anti-fouling for a “not the fastest” sailboat on a fairly cold mountain lake? I won’t be racing competitively as we are focused on learning the very basics for now. I would love something that I don’t have to redo every season. I read here that Micron CSC and Extra ablates at 6-7 knots. From my understanding of “ablate” this means that the paint likely won’t lose the hangers-on and algae unless I get really good winds for long stretches… Not sure how likely that is. VC-17 I have understood to be over the top for my needs if done correctly (using a “tar coat” first, etc). I was also told VC-17 was more for racers and did not last more than a season usually. Additionally, I have found Trinidad, but haven’t really understood much about the details relative to my situation. Does anyone have a recommendation of what would be a good anti-foul for my circumstances? Not fast, cold lake, half-year season in water and lasts a few (hopefully 3-4 seasons).

If it turns out I need a new barrier coat (God knows what’s going on beneath the very flaky and thick anti-foul), what recommendations could you volley my way on the subject? What are objective signs that indicate a new barrier coat is truly necessary? Blisters will be obvious, but are there other more subtle factors my newbie eyes might not recognize? Or worse, signs that a bottom shop would use to scare me into believing a barrier job is a must? I would prefer to be educated before I stop by for that initial estimate so I can make a solid decision.

If a barrier coat is needed what is recommended? Both for a “serious” job and/or something on the lighter side –a basic “play it safe” coating? –Hopefully this isn’t read as too loose a question…

We won’t be able to do this hull work ourselves unfortunately –every other project we have high hopes for doing DIY... Does anyone recommend a good bottom / fiberglass shop in Colorado (near Denver, Dillon or maybe even Granby)? I know The Anchorage in Lyons doesn’t do this kind of work. Any other suggestions? Or places to avoid?

Finally, thanks for reading all of this as I am trying to be thorough. I want to give everyone a HUGE “thank you” for existing and being such a supportive and sharing bunch –certainly a good influence helping to further attract us to the sailing world. Every piece of advise and every story has helped to guide us on what we expect will be one of the greatest decisions we’ve made in many, many years! While we have been quiet during our research and class taking, we hope to be able to share for whoever is interested in what we learn in the future. Giving back of what we can, though the perspective is clearly one from the beginning.

Thanks tons all!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For bottom paints, you will want a MULTI-SEASON ablative paint. Getting almost anything else will be a waste of money, since the paint will deactivate with prolonged air exposure, like when you haul the boat for the winter.

For barrier coating the hull, I would highly recommend Interprotect 2000E. It probably isn't necessary on a trailerable boat that is sailed on cold fresh water lakes of colorado and stored for half the year.

As for not doing the work yourself, I don't see why you wouldn't? If you get the bottom soda-blasted, it is only a couple of days to finish sanding, barrier coating and painting the bottom of a boat the size of yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-29-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

SD is precisely on the mark.

In cold Lake Ontario, with a 6-month season, many older boats don't have a barrier coat at all. Hand-laid hulls from the 60's don't seem to be as susceptible to blistering as those from the 70's and 80's. The colder the water, the fresher the water, the shorter the season, the less the blister risk. If you DO strip everything off, a barrier coat makes sense, as most of the job -- the labor -- is already done. Interlux 2000E is a great material for the barrier.

A good multi-season ablative, such as Micron Extra, is what we use here in Buffalo. Trinidad is a Hard paint, which requires sanding for re-coating, whereas ablatives can get by with just a good scotch-brite scuffing before touch-ups. We also have customers who swear by the [much cheaper] Blue Water ablative paints, even after a few seasons, though I believe BW only claims one season. VC is definitely a single-season job, slippery -- almost all our racers use it, BUT, as it contains Teflon, if you want to change to a different paint in the future, you must completely remove the VC-17.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 05-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Ablatives

Ablatives are great but there are big differences. Micron CSC and Micron Extra do not begin ablading until 7-8 knots and are not necessarily the best choice if trying to avoid build up on a slower moving sailboat. Micron 66 should NEVER be used in fresh or even brackish water and is a salt water paint only.

They are great paints for power boats, and sailboats that hit 7+ often but not for boats that rarely consistently cruise above 7 knots. Interlux ACT begins ablading at 2-3 knots and would be a better choice. Though it is marketed as a single season paint by Interlux this is solely because it wears away so fast and not because it will become ineffective if hauled.

The Pettit line Hydrocoat, Horizons and the Ultima paints all begin ablading at about 3 knots and IMHO are a much better choice if you want true ablading properties on a slower moving boat.

As for barrier I highly doubt it will benecessary unless you remove too much gelocat in the removal process..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-29-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

As others have mentioned, I don't think you need a barrier coat. Regarding paint, I used Pettit Hydrocoat last year. I worked OK on my boat, which is in salt water from May to November, and the water gets quite warm in Aug / Sept. It was cheap to buy and very easy to apply.

Good luck with the Catalina 22. That was my first boat and I learned a lot and enjoyed sailing it.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

Old 05-29-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hard bottom paint will be longer lasting than ablative for you since you will store out of the water for many months.
Slime and algae are the biggest lake water issues so get something with a good biocide...not just copper.
Old 05-29-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
You probably don't want the Micron paint. Pettit has several choices for you. If you want ablative then Pettit is a good choice because, as MaineSail said, they work at much lower speeds.

Pettit Paints

You might want to consider hard paints though.

Do you know what kind of paint is on it now? You probably want to get into the water, so maybe the thing to do is find out what is on it now, figure out what you can over coat it with after a light sanding and just put it on for this season. Both Pettit and Interyacht web sites have compatibility charts.

Then you have plenty of time to decide if you want it soda blasted, if you want the barrier coat, what paint for the long term...
Old 05-30-2009

Ablative VS Hard

Perhaps someone could give a good explanation on the difference between ablative and hard paint?

I take ablative to mean that the slime and creatures can’t get a solid foot-hold and as the boat moves through the water the molecules of the paint the creatures/slime have hold of simply “peal” away, thus releasing the creatures/slime. The hard coat simply has properties such as copper and biocide that essentially repels the creatures and slime without a need for moving through water to activate. The creatures and slime simply aren’t interested in touching the paint.

Is this correct?
Thanks! -BB
Old 05-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
Perhaps someone could give a good explanation on the difference between ablative and hard paint?
For the purposes of this discussion let define "hard" paints. You likely mean modified epoxy paint, which is the most common non-ablative type available.

Both ablatives and modified epoxies use cuprous oxide as the main toxin. Some products also use additional ingredients to retard slime build-up, but copper is the main toxin in both types. Both types are formulated to release the copper at a controlled rate and do so, 24/7 until the copper is depleted. The major difference is that ablatives are designed to be "self-cleaning"; that is, as the boat moves through the water, the soft outer surface of the paint ablates away, always revealing a clean, fresh paint surface to the water. This is the theory anyway. In regions of moderate to high fouling, ablatives do not self-clean. Modified epoxies are a tougher, more durable paint, that work solely by leaching the copper toxin into the water around the boat.

A newer type of anti fouling category is the "foul release" type. Foul release anti foulings tend to be non-toxic and work by providing a surface that is so slippery that organisms cannot readily attach to the hull.
Old 05-30-2009

Thanks Fstbttms,

That's the most concise explantation I could hope for! Lots of good advice here in this thread. So called hard paints don't sound to last multiple seasons of haul out, and sound to be painful to remove when time comes to re-apply. Based on what I've read it sounds as if Pettit line Hydrocoat, Horizons and the Ultima paints are the likely best candidate for my situation. Low speed ablatement, likely lasting multiple seasons, easy to re-apply if necessary, and (I think it sounds as if) it can be hauled out in the winter on a trailer without ruining it's effects. I'll spend some time looking into the different versions and see what I can learn.

My favorite suggestion to just sand and put a complimentary coat on and go sailing is great 'cept that the bottom paint is literally just flaking off, which makes me concerned that the fiberglass may have some issues. I'd rather know than make it worse through the season. The gentleman I purchased from didn't come across as a big sailer; he didn't seem concerned that lowering the swing keel was helpful in the sailing part... Nice guy who ultimately just wanted a speed boat. Looking it over during purchase, it looked like the very bare minimum had been kept up on. Fortunately, he had only owned as a floating beer hut for two years, so it could be quite a bit worse.

The lake he kept it on was in Western Ohio, which I take to not be the coldest, nor cleanest of lakes, so I am keeping myself prepared for the worst when I have a chance to scrape some of the paint off tomorrow for the first time. Can't wait to see what I find! Fingers are crossed.

Again, any further opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks to all for taking the time! -BB