Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2009

winterbuoy is on a distinguished road
Sta Lok Pricing

I thought we were is a serious recession, well you would not know that from the price of Stalok Terminals. Anyone have a cheap source as I will be redoing my entire rig ( Ketch 44 feet ) and need quite a lot of these. Pricing on-line is all over the map on this stuff and looks like they are all raising their prices, unbelievable! Might go with the Hi Mods as they are much more in line.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
The implications of failed rigging and potential lawsuits certainly would and should be reflected in the price of such hardware. if you don't like the price of SL what do you think it would cost to pay a rigging shop to make the swages? you could always loop and u-bolt the the ends wrap them all up with nice electrical tape! Home depot or Lowes sell stainless turnbuckles too! Personally I can't imagine how such hardware even exists when i think how many failures they must have mostly from user error.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend going with the Hayn Hi-Mods. They're a lot more reasonably priced and a better design IMHO. Also, they don't require a part to be replaced every time they are disassembled and re-assembled as the StaLock and Norseman fittings do.

Denise—

The Hayn Hi-Mods are about 15% less expensive. The price on the StaLocks is currently outrageous. IMHO, the Hi-Mods are also less prone to user error, due to the crown ring design.

Currently, Stalok 1/4" wire eye terminal is $45.25. The same fitting from Hayn HiMod is $39.90. The price disparity is worse with larger fittings, turnbuckles and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-29-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2009

Thanks SD, you are right about pricing. Home Depot stuff? Yep how about old halyards from the trash also!!! Nope I'm not cheap but I also don't like being ripped off either, as I'm sure Sta-Loks are right now.
Old 05-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Aren't StaLoks certified by Loyds of London? Again, I'd guess it's the potential lawsuits that drive the price more then "ripping off" people. 5-6 $ doesn't look like a huge desparity to me! Imagine being at sea and one of those fittings lets go? but then.. we see people posting about how their new rigging by reputable riggers has failed too. My feelings lean towards the machine swaged rigging. from what I uderstand the SS is compressed so much it bonds with the cable. Ever look at the big cables used for lifting equipment and large construction beams? Same process I think is used for the swaged fittings. BTW, my lifeline nearly broke my arm last week when my pick up bouy tangled with it because of a gust of wind. none of the 26yr old swages failed!

my current "project"!
Old 05-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Riggingonly.com is an excellent source for rigging supplies. They're one of the shops I use regularly, but they're also located 10 minutes from my boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-29-2009
Telstar 28

Denise—

Hayn Hi-Mods, StaLoks, Norsemans, are all very well recognized as being reliable within the sailing community. The price disparity is nothing more than profit seeking IMHO. All of these brands are all very well tested and considered equally reliable. However, due to the difference in design, where the Hayn HiMod has the crown ring, they are probably easier to install for the average user than are the StaLok or Norseman designs.

Here are the StaLok, Hayn Hi-Mod, and Norseman pages from Riggingonly.com, which shows how each is assembled. I'd point out that Stalok is the most expensive of the three brands, and Hayn HiMods are the least.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-29-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2009

Denise, 26 years old? See that's the problem here, mine are also that old and I am trying to fix it before it happens. Mine are all in fresh water but I do believe 26 is to old for rigging, just blown away by the cost. 2 years ago a 5/16" wire 1/2" thread stud was about 25 bucks lower than today. Were we not in boom times 2 years ago? SD, Rigging-Only is whom I will probably buy from because they seem to know their stuff. I will send several company's the spec's for the entire rig as I have measured everything and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2009
Telstar 28

Winterbuoy—

I would highly recommend you get a mailing address in the USA and have the gear shipped there, since it will save you a huge hit on the shipping.
UPS apparently charges through the nose just to cross the border.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-29-2009

Yep, boat is in Toronto but I am in TN as my wife is a US citizen so we go back and forth all the time but thanks for the tip. You are right about the border SD.