Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
Good masthead / steaming lights

Hello all,

My boat is lacking masthead & steaming lights. So I'm searching the internet and seeing a gigantic variety of them. So, my question is, does anybody have recommendations on any particular brand/model of masthead & steaming lights?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2009

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Lopolight are expensive, but look the best built. They have done well magazine tests and they generally get + reviews. I intend to fit one when my mast needs new rigging.
Old 05-30-2009
Iroquois MkII

Yikes, yes, expensive. Also not USCG certified, which makes me nervous. Is that an issue? Most of the LED lights don't seem to be USCG certified...
Old 05-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the Aquasignal 25 steaming/foredeck light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-30-2009
Iroquois MkII

So that would install on the mast somewhere midway, and the anchor light would be at the very top, yes ?
Old 05-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, usually about the spreader level, or between the first and second spreaders on a multi-spreader rig. While the steaming light is often called a masthead light, but usually isn't anywhere near the masthead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForCruiser View Post
So that would install on the mast somewhere midway, and the anchor light would be at the very top, yes ?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-31-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
I thought I liked that AquaSignal 25; then I took it out of the package. The deck light is totally open to the elements. There is no lense cover. What bothered me the most about this is that reflector is going to be useless pretty quickly.

Aqua Signal wasn't the only brand that did this. I think I looked at Forespar or Perko and it was the same design with the bulb unprotected.

I returned it and made the guys at Svendsens go upstairs and find a Hella 8505 combo light. It uses a sealed beam so the reflector gets replaced with the bulb change and is protected from the elements. You can get the small one (8505) with a 20W deck light for around $70 or the big one with a 55W deck light for about twice that.

forgot to mention: I like bilgewater's combo light. It looks durable and streamlined.
Old 05-31-2009
Iroquois MkII

Is my assumption that the steaming & foredeck light components are on separate circuits correct?

Since we're on the topic, I also need an all-around anchor light for the top of the mast - does anybody have opinions on what a good brand/model is for that ?
Old 05-31-2009
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
I thought I liked that AquaSignal 25; then I took it out of the package. The deck light is totally open to the elements. There is no lense cover. What bothered me the most about this is that reflector is going to be useless pretty quickly.
The reason the AquaSignal isn't sealed is there really isn't a need for it. It is too high up for spray to be an issue and rain generally doesn't fall up. The fixture works quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForCruiser View Post
Is my assumption that the steaming & foredeck light components are on separate circuits correct?

Since we're on the topic, I also need an all-around anchor light for the top of the mast - does anybody have opinions on what a good brand/model is for that ?
Yes, the fixture uses three wires, +12 VDC for each light and a common ground return.

For the mast top fixture, I'd go with an Orca Green Marine LED anchor light. While a bit more pricey than some other fixtures, it uses far less electricity. Also, it is USCG certified.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-31-2009

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
SD is absolutely correct. - gravity sucks the rain down.

quote - The reason the AquaSignal isn't sealed is there really isn't a need for it. It is too high up for spray to be an issue and rain generally doesn't fall up. The fixture works quite well.

I had one on my Shark 24. There was no way it needed a cover over the deck light as it was totally protected from any water by its design.
Come back into the dock late at night, flip on the deck light, and Bob's your uncle. Lit up the front deck for unloading the sails to be folded etc.

You seem to be fairly new to sailing and perhaps not totally aware of the lighting requirements. Here is a link that may assist - reviewlights

Last edited by jimq26; 05-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.