Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-31-2009

quincunx55555 is on a distinguished road
Question Coronado 15 Halyard

I just bought a Coronado 15; my first boat (yea!). Prior to my purchase, I did notice a wire rope was broken and the seller did tell me it was one of the halyards. He gave me lots of extra parts, including a new wire rope and a thimble. He showed me his swage-it tool and said it should be fairly easy to put a new halyard together.

After looking at the manual, where it describes the halyard lock, I realized that there was more to this than swaging loops on the end of the wire rope. While searching for ball swages for the lock, I discovered that since they are stainless steel they cannot be hand crimped/swaged.

I had already done searches for "c15 halyard" and "coronado 15 halyard", in hopes that a new, and complete, halyard would be waiting for an owner. No luck there. While I was looking for swaging parts and tools, I noticed one of the places also does custom work. I called and they wanted to know how many pounds of pressure is needed for the ball swage. Arg! I don't know.

I have no idea what to do at this point, other than forget the halyard lock and sail while the fabric line stretches (assuming that's the reason for the lock). Does anyone know how I can get a halyard for my Coronado 15? Or, how many pounds of pressure are needed for the ball swage for the halyard lock? Are there other solutions I am not considering?

Thanks In Advance,

-Q
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I would not worry about making it identical or perfect. You can waste a lot of time and money trying to make your boat "perfect".

Just get something that works alright, is strong, and reasonably "high performance" if that is your type of thing.

Galvanized 7x19 wire rope with a liverpool splice would work just fine in this application.
Old 05-31-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Try Catalina

AFAIK, Catalina was the last builder of the Coronado. As such, they should be able to give you pointers on any fix. Try giving them a ring...

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I would not worry about making it identical or perfect. You can waste a lot of time and money trying to make your boat "perfect".

Just get something that works alright, is strong, and reasonably "high performance" if that is your type of thing.

Galvanized 7x19 wire rope with a liverpool splice would work just fine in this application.
I'm not too concerned with "perfect". I'm mostly concerned with the fact that I have Fridays off through the month of June. I'd love to get this thing out on a few weekdays! At the same time, I don't want to rig up something that's either impractical, or needs to be revisited next year.

Doing a quick search, I saw two examples of a liverpool splice. One example was just a loop at the end of the rope, so I'm not sure how that is supposed to interact with the lock (or is it supposed to at all?)

The other liverpool splice example was two loops connected by some links of chain. Using the link to hold into the keyhole lock and linking two wire ropes would be easy. The trick would be knowing what link is strong enough hold, and small enough to fit between the mast head sheaves and the mast head. I have no clue as the the lbs/kilos of force being applied, so I guess that's part of the problem.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrog View Post
AFAIK, Catalina was the last builder of the Coronado. As such, they should be able to give you pointers on any fix. Try giving them a ring...
I was wondering if that was a possibility. When I didn't see Coronado 15 listed on their site I wasn't sure if they would be much help. Then seeing the plate on my boat that says "by Capri", I got even more confused. Maybe Catalina bought a company, or had a division, named Capri?

I'll be sure to call them Monday and find something out

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2009

Talking Catalina to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrog View Post
I called Catalina and they said they could look up information about the halyard, or just make one for me. Not only that, but it's way cheaper than I expected!

Thanks for the tip!

-Q