Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-31-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
KISS wind generator [Need help - 1]

Okay folks,

I am considering two important purchases, the KISS wind generator being one of them. Any last minute advice/thoughts on this wind generator before I make my final decision and place the order ? Please, anyone who has this unit, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts before I commit to it.

It was a choice between the Four winds and the KISS, and, I don't know, I just kind of like the KISS I suppose. I have no experience with either one of them. These two seemed like they were the highest output in low winds and I am in low wind situations a lot (aren't we all ?). Thanks Cam for that chart you posted some time ago.

One thing I didn't like about the Four winds is that it seems very expensive for what amounts to an alternator with a prop on the front. Yes, it is more complicated than that, but is it $$$$ more complicated ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I like the 4 winds best but KISS is a strong second choice and nearly $1k less. I agree that the KISS is the better value. I know lots of cruisers that have them and are happy. Only problem seems to be responsiveness to parts requests sometimes.
Old 05-31-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I like the 4 winds best but KISS is a strong second choice and nearly $1k less. I agree that the KISS is the better value. I know lots of cruisers that have them and are happy. Only problem seems to be responsiveness to parts requests sometimes.
I'm glad to hear that Cam. I remembered that you liked the four winds and that was a major factor in even considering it for the price, I figured you had done your homework. My only real concern with the KISS is exactly what you said, since it is essentially a one man operation we are completely dependent on that one man.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You might want to buy a complete common spares kit from them at the time of sale to avoid delays/problems down the road.
Old 06-01-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
We have a KISS and it's been great. John at Hotwire really knows the unit and keeps most of the common parts around. It's not a big deal to keep the unit running.
Old 06-01-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
I did not use this brand. Make sure that the noise level is low. I used five blade wind generator on my boat, and never heard any sound on board both in low winds and high winds. I transferred a boat with a three blade wind generator and the sound it delivered was more than the electricty produced. I was forcede to tie the blades to the mast (mizzen) to overcome the noise.
Old 06-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsirius View Post
We have a KISS and it's been great. John at Hotwire really knows the unit and keeps most of the common parts around. It's not a big deal to keep the unit running.
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????

Please support my
Old 06-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????
Okay, I think I see what the extra 200$us gets you from s/v Hotwire, since they seem to be the North American distributor for the KISS wind generator, your extra 200$us buys you the opportunity to own a KISS wind generator if you live in North America.

Please support my
Old 06-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It also pays for shipping the KISS from the islands where they're made to the US... and the import duties and dealing with the customs hassles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Okay, I think I see what the extra 200$us gets you from s/v Hotwire, since they seem to be the North American distributor for the KISS wind generator, your extra 200$us buys you the opportunity to own a KISS wind generator if you live in North America.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
My KISS is 10 years old now. The only problem I had was a bearing. That was because we got caught in a 60+knot squall. I couldn't get to it quick enough to shut it down. I have had many compliments on the small amount of noise it puts out while in anchorages. I am not familiar with the four winds, but if it's half the price I would lean towards the kiss. Unless money was unlimited, and it's not....lololololol.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!