Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Killing bugs

Hi All...

At my marina, when the sun goes down on a still evening, the bugs come out! What do you guys use to repel and/or kill bugs? I would try a mosqueto magnet but the power and propane requirements are not ideal
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A mosquito magnet has the advantage that once it has run for about a month, the number of mosquitoes in the area will drop dramatically, since mosquitoes don't travel much further than 300' from where they're hatched.

Citronella candles work pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A mosquito magnet has the advantage that once it has run for about a month, the number of mosquitoes in the area will drop dramatically, since mosquitoes don't travel much further than 300' from where they're hatched.
Yeah mine works great in my yard. Maybe I can get the marina owner to deploy a few.
Old 06-01-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
Sit next to the admiral. She smells delicious or so the bugs say.
Old 06-02-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
a friend mentioned that lining up a few citronella candles in from of the companion way works well. I'll be trying it this summer.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 06-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
a friend mentioned that lining up a few citronella candles in from of the companion way works well. I'll be trying it this summer.
Yeah but that stuff really stinks. or at least it used to when I last used it some years ago. Off has a new product called click off or something, that is worth a try.
Old 06-02-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
The bane of my hiking and camping existence.

Honestly ? This time of year I just stop hiking and camping. I don't have the patience for it, I would much rather camp in the spring, autumn after the first frost, and in the winter, even the dead of winter is better than bug season. I have tried all kinds of remedies, I have tried sleeping under mosquito net, I have tried candles, fires, sprays, you name it, actually I never gave sprays much of a chance because I don't want chemicals all over me, I understand they really do work.

Mosquito nets do work but of course you aren't going to wear those when you are active. I would think on a boat that a bimini would be your best bet, one that has netting to keep the bugs out.

The one good thing about where I live is that it is mostly mosquitoes, I would be very unhappy if I had to deal with black flies and some of the insects that other people have to deal with, at least we don't have scorpions here!

I did forget to mention one thing that does help, if you have a mosquito net hat, that really does help. I don't know about most people but the mosquitoes don't bother me that much so long as they aren't in my face, buzzing directly in my ear, on the back of my neck, and in general just around my head, they really don't bother me as much if they bite me on the legs or something.

Please support my
Old 06-02-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Addition to my last post - you might also try using enough mosquito net to build small rooms and enclosures where ever you like to sit, the material is very inexpensive. Just put up a couple of supports to hold it, then hang it up and exist inside of it in the evenings. People who live in areas with a lot of mosquitoes often drape mosquito netting over their beds and make like tents out of the stuff to stay comfortable, for example.

This is a pretty picture .. CLICK HERE

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 06-02-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
What's a mosquito

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 06-02-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
From awhile back

12-28-2008 - [add post to favorites]
CapnRon47 <****** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_423606", true);

screen cockpit enclosure

Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.