Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2009
28 foot irwin

diverdad69 is on a distinguished road
help me, life lines, halyards, jib sheets

I need to replace my ropes i have a 28 foot irwin 9 foot beam, i need lines for my sails??? jib sheets? how long and what size?

the halyards i can just measure so thats an easy one

a friend told me about using spectra line to replace my life lines.

I think i have a regular jib sail and a 150 genoa plus the main. so i have no idea as to my rope lengths

please advise the noobie

thanks
Sean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Lifelines are stupid. Do away with them!

There should be some good info here:
IRWIN 28-1 Sailboat details (specs. English) on sailboatdata.com
IRWIN 28-1 Sailboat details (specs. English) on sailboatdata.com

Jib sheets are sized to comfort, you can get by with shorter and thinner ones, or thicker, longer ones. Depends on your style and budget. Honestly I would not expect failure of any of the new high tech jib sheets, even undersized they are very strong. I would buy sta-set.

Halyards you want a low-stretch line. Sta set would also work here.

Basically line size is determined by what you feel to be a comfortable size. Smaller is cheaper, and weaker, but new poly lines are very strong.

Stick to the same size line for anything going through a block or masthead sheave.
Old 06-01-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad69 View Post
I need to replace my ropes i have a 28 foot irwin 9 foot beam, i need lines for my sails??? jib sheets? how long and what size?

the halyards i can just measure so thats an easy one

a friend told me about using spectra line to replace my life lines.

I think i have a regular jib sail and a 150 genoa plus the main. so i have no idea as to my rope lengths

please advise the noobie

thanks
Sean
If you can get your hands on some old line. Maybe your old halyards. You can tie them on to the clue of your sail and figure out how long you want them to be. Just tie a knot at the length you are happy with and there you go.
Same thing for the main sheet. Just reeve the blocks with any old thing you can find and then push out the boom and mark the line. You have your length.

You can use anything you want for lifelines. Spectra or any of the hi tech lines work fine as long as they are protected from the sun.
Frankly, one of the least expensive ways to do lifelines is just to have Nico-press eyes put in on each end of a piece of 1x19 wire and then just lash them to the pulpits with some small stuff. You can even do that yourself.
Old 06-01-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Lifelines are stupid. Do away with them!
Yeah, if you want to have to make sure that everyone, including yourself has to wear and use a harness every time the boat is underway for the rest of your life.
Old 06-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For a 150% genoa, you'll probably want jib sheets about 1.5-2 x the length of the boat. For a working jib, you'll probably want jib sheets about the 1.1-1.25x length of the boat. Some of this depends on where the jib fairleads are and where the sheet winches are.

3/8" line is the thinnest line I'd recommend you use for sheets, but 1/2" would be far more comfortable on the hands.

Suncor also sells lifeline kits that allow you to make up your own stainless steel lifelines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, but life lines are not stupid! They are called lifelines for a reason. They are something to reach out to and steady yourself as you go forward, sometimes even at the dock, but especially if it's a bit rough out on the water. They have helped me numerous times and have never been the tripping hazard some people claim they are. Of course, some people don't use seat belts in the car...kinda the same logic...they're stupid...or are they?
Old 06-01-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Another option on lifelines is Johnson slice line lifeline fittings with a good dyneema cordage like endura or amsteel these have really good abrasion and UV resistance

I used amsteel on our last boat but I'll probably go with endura this time

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 06-01-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2009
28 foot irwin

diverdad69 is on a distinguished road
i agree on the life lines, i have two young kids and the lifelines are there for them and I, better safe than sorry, a big ego can put you six feet under where as a little bit of humble pie can let you see grandkids and old age.... so on that note, amsteel or endura... what thickness and what about the ends? brade them? is it less expensive than stainless cable?
Old 06-01-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I went with 1/4" and a simple buried eye splice, I figured if a buried eye splice could hold up under the force imposed on ski ropes, it would hold up in a life line.

This time I'm still going with 1/4 and the same splice but I'm using endura 12 because of color selection

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-01-2009

cost wise ? I can do 2 lines on a 37 footer for around 1300.00 and in five yrs ( if needed ) I'll be able to do new lines for around 250-300

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 06-02-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: really bad choice of wording