SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Mounts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54875-engine-mounts.html)

winethief 06-01-2009 08:16 PM

Engine Mounts

I have told that my Westerbeke 46 is in need of new engine mounts. My mechanic has instructed me to see if I can match either Yanmar or Volvo mounts to the old ones. Reason being that the original ones that came with the boat are not well constructed and appears is what Westerbeke is still using.
I would appreciate any guidance or recommendations.

Many thanks,
George

Cruisingdad 06-03-2009 01:07 PM

I am putting this in gear and maint where you may get a better chance of some responses.

- CD

Maine Sail 06-03-2009 02:05 PM

My experience

The Westerbeke mounts on my motor were just replaced at 2878 hours of use. I chose to stick with them and the new ones have some changes compared to the old ones which should help them last even longer.

Why did I stick with Westerbeke mounts? Because my bell housing cracked last summer. This crack was attributed to porosity in the casting from when it was new. While it did last 2800+, hours and was well out of warranty, Westerbeke replaced the $600.00 bell housing at NO charge and without being asked to do so. They really are a GREAT company!

What were some of their questions about this situation?

#1 Were you using Westerbeke engine mounts?

This was their first question..

I am going to guess that if I had been using other than Westerbke mounts they would not have sent me a free bell housing despite it's apparent defects from the factory..

The new mounts were not cheap but if I can get another 2800+ hours out of them....

rob8888 06-03-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winethief (Post 491487)
I have told that my Westerbeke 46 is in need of new engine mounts. My mechanic has instructed me to see if I can match either Yanmar or Volvo mounts to the old ones. Reason being that the original ones that came with the boat are not well constructed and appears is what Westerbeke is still using.
I would appreciate any guidance or recommendations.

Many thanks,
George

Personally I prefer the new Westerbeke/Universal mounts over any other kind. They are low profile, so they will fit a lot of engines, they're fully adjustable, and they meet safety specs because they're fail-safe (don't separate competely even if the rubber splits). I've never seen anyone have problems with them. Yanmar specifies that their mounts be replaced every 2 years, and many of their mounts only really fit Yanmar engines because they are very high profile. I've had some problems with older Volvo mounts, but maybe the very latest ones used with their new engines (Peugeot/Perkins block) are OK.