Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
I'm going down to Aeolus today and will take a close look at whether I think a tennis ball approach or one of the other good ideas will work best. Thanks for the link to that performance sailing site, it was new to me. None of that stuff would fit my blocks however.

I just received some new track car single blocks from Garhauer that I'm going to use to create a fair lead to my winches. I have to do some surgery to add these new cars as the end track bolts of course are meant to keep stuff from sliding off. Getting to the head of these bolts on a Gulf 32 requires the removal of some paneling and stuff, but not too bad. These new blocks look great!

I'll try to remember to post a picture of whatever solution I end up with, and thanks as always for the help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
That's a clever idea that I can see working well. I wonder how the inner tube stands up to UV? How long have you had this in place and under what sort of conditions? A picture would be great.
b'wind
Sorry it took so long to post the pix - had to take it first.
This is season #5 for the inner tube.
Pretty, it ain't, but it sure works!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Twin sheet lead blocks need rubber stand up?-inner-tube-stand-up-003.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009

AE28,
That's awesome. Great shot, great idea. I went and checked my block and think I could possibly get the tennis ball or tube to work. Of course the twin sheet block is a different arrangement than your stand up block, but it would probably work.

Today I think I'll start to remove my T-track so I can slide on my new fairlead car blocks, and will bring a tennis ball and some old tube to try out both.

I took a bunch of my wife's family out sailing this week and most of them had only had traumatic experiences sailing with bad sailors in SF Bay in typically harsh conditions. Had 15 knots and a perfect sail, other than this damn twin sheet block continuing to lay down and force my genoa sheet to ride over the sharp edge of the stainless steel frame. They didn't know it was possible to sail fast and happily without fear and screaming. It's so nice to give people positive experiences on boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2009

Photo of genoa block

Here is a photo of my T-track with the genoa twin sheet block I've been discussing. I installed my single stand up fairlead block aft of it today, so I can get a fairlead to my winch regardless of the position of my main sheet block. You can see here how the genoa block lays over on its side and the sheet rides on the frame. It doesn't look too bad here, but when the sail is raised, the angle to the block is more acute and the problem even greater.

Old 06-08-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
b'wind
Couple of (probably) stupid suggestions you've undoubtedly already tried:
reverse the fore and aft positions of the two leads and/or turn the grey lead 180 degrees so it tilts inboard rather than outboard.

Paul
Old 06-21-2009

Problem solved

Thanks to everyone for advice and encouragement. I've gone with the inner tube solution for now and it is working well. In this picture the inner tube is a little higher on the block than it is now. I moved it down a little to not rub the sheet.

Between the new Garhauer stand up block fairlead, and this ability to keep the twin sheet genoa block from flopping over on its side, I feel like I have seriously upgraded the functionality and durability of my headsail system.

Sailed today in decent wind and everything worked great. For the first time ever, I could move my forward block forward for broad reaching and then back for close reaching without rerouting the sheet to the winch, or constantly adjusting the block to keep the sheet on the roller and not the housing. Hooray!