Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Twin sheet lead blocks need rubber stand up?

I've tried to find an answer without consulting the gurus here but alas, Hi gurus. I have some otherwise nice twin sheet genoa blocks on my 1 1/4 track but they have a serious problem of always laying down so that my genoa sheets ride on the metal housing and not on the block. It puts my sheet at a sharp angle over a sharp edge and is no good whatsoever.

I see that my blocks, like all of them, are supposed to pivot from side to side, and yet mine lay all the way down and this allows the sheet to ride on the housing instead of pulling up the block.

My question is this: I see on the sides of my blocks that there are holes, as though there should be a rubber stopper or support of some type that would solve this problem nicely. No where on the unit does it state manufacturer. Does anyone out there have a similar block and know where I could find these rubber supports?

Sorry, I don't have a picture yet.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
I've tried to find an answer without consulting the gurus here but alas, Hi gurus. I have some otherwise nice twin sheet genoa blocks on my 1 1/4 track but they have a serious problem of always laying down so that my genoa sheets ride on the metal housing and not on the block. It puts my sheet at a sharp angle over a sharp edge and is no good whatsoever.

I see that my blocks, like all of them, are supposed to pivot from side to side, and yet mine lay all the way down and this allows the sheet to ride on the housing instead of pulling up the block.

My question is this: I see on the sides of my blocks that there are holes, as though there should be a rubber stopper or support of some type that would solve this problem nicely. No where on the unit does it state manufacturer. Does anyone out there have a similar block and know where I could find these rubber supports?

Sorry, I don't have a picture yet.

Thanks!
Somewhere Alex (Guiletta) has posted on how to make a perfectly acceptable stand-up block using a tennis ball. He even included drawings.
It may be on Anything-Sailing. Can't remember. It seemed like a pretty cool idea though.
Old 06-02-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Its on here somewhere.
Search "Poor Man's Stand up Block".
Here you go..........The Poor Man Standing Block

I'm not sure how well it will adapt to a Block on a Track.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-02-2009

Thanks so much for the link. I'd seen that before but forgotten about it. I'm not sure how I could use tennis balls to hold up my track block, but maybe. I still have to think these blocks were originally built to stand up pretty well, and that over time the rubber just wore out and the PO threw it away. I just need to find, or make, the rubber piece to fit the hole that's already there. I've googled rubber for track blocks and you don't want to know what I came up with!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
b'rope...
Not sure I had the exact same problem, but I've made some jib sheet fairlead blocks stand up by tightly wrapping a piece of bicycle inner tube around the base, under the block, and then tieing it off with cable ties.
If you need a photo, please let me know.
Paul

Last edited by AE28; 06-02-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2009

That's a clever idea that I can see working well. I wonder how the inner tube stands up to UV? How long have you had this in place and under what sort of conditions? A picture would be great.

Old 06-02-2009

Man I love Google. I searched UV resistance of bicycle tubes and came up with this: UV resistance of silicone rubber compared with that of other elastomers
which explains why the stuff resists UV well. I even got to practice my old organic chemistry skills from college!

If no one has better information I'll try the tubes, as they are at least a good stop gap. May look bad, but then again I try to keep her ugly so as not to distract from my wife's beauty. Don't want any more competition for my affections...

Old 06-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The tennis ball idea that Gui has posted about should work fairly well, even on a block on track, provided the ball sits on the car properly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
You can also tie on a bit of shock cord to hold the block up to the life lines.
Old 06-03-2009

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Perhaps this is what you might be looking for.

APS - Springs, Boots & Stand-up Bases

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.