SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cotter Pins (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54923-cotter-pins.html)

ccriders 06-03-2009 11:10 AM

Cotter Pins

Don't use Chinese cotter pins. I unwittingly conducted a perfect objective product evaluation. After retuning the rig last fall, I decided to use new cotter pins so as not to deal with the bent and twisted old ones. My shrouds use two sizes, 1/8 and 3/32 so I bought a pack of each, same brand, same store, same price. This winter I noted the 1/8 pins were litertally dripping rust down the turnbuckle, yet the 3/32 ones were fine. So I go back and look at the packages and find the 1/8 made in USA and the 3/32 made in China. As I removed the Chinese pins they broke in half, not where they were bent, but inside the screw bolt. I guess they would have eventually just fallen out, so I should be thankful for the dripping rust as it provided a timely warning of impending failure.
John

canadianseamonkey 06-03-2009 11:54 AM

Yes John you are absolutely correct. The stainless steel made in China is inferior to ours. I've had the same problem with clevis pins and many people at our marina have as well. It's good to get the word out to prevent disaster.

Valiente 06-03-2009 01:02 PM

I tell people to use only ABA or Triton hose clamps for the same reason.

eolon 06-03-2009 07:18 PM

I use bronze cotter pins from Jamestown Distributors. They are expensive, but they bend more easily, and they are easier to re-use.

Also, they look cool.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

sailingdog 06-03-2009 08:35 PM

first, if your rigging is stainless steel, you would probably be better off not mixing metals. second, you really aren't supposed to re-use cotter pins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eolon (Post 492129)
I use bronze cotter pins from Jamestown Distributors. They are expensive, but they bend more easily, and they are easier to re-use.

Also, they look cool.

Best Regards,

e

trantor12020 06-04-2009 07:34 AM

so both are crap. made in US rusted, made in China breaks.
I use bronze wire to lock my shroud bottle screw. as its always dry there's no issue with dis-similiar metal problem.

eolon 06-04-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 492145)
first, if your rigging is stainless steel, you would probably be better off not mixing metals. second, you really aren't supposed to re-use cotter pins.

Did you read the part where I said they look cool?

Sheesh...

Best Regards,

e

WanderingStar 06-04-2009 12:37 PM

Stainless and bronze are ok together. So say my ss shrouds and bronze turnbuckles after 40 years in the salty Florida breeze.

billangiep 06-04-2009 12:46 PM

I agree, being above the water line there shouldn't be any problems.

eolon 06-04-2009 12:56 PM

Bronze is about 220 on the galvanic scale - about in the middle - which is why it is often used in marine applications - it tends to get along "pretty well" with most other metals on a boat.

Stainless Steel comes in about 100 different "flavors" - some are less than bronze on the scale, some more - and of course passivated SS is generally not a problem.

I would advise against Aluminum cotter pins, though.

also zinc. Stay away from zinc cotter pins.

Best Regards,

e