Options for replacing a busted boom on Florida's east coast? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Options for replacing a busted boom on Florida's east coast?

I finally heard at one remove what's happening to my delivery crew wife via the skipper's wife, who is in Toronto with a broken leg.

My non-broken wife is down in the Bahamas and was to help deliver (with others) an Ontario 32 from Eleuthera, Bahamas to New York City and then up the Hudson and the canal to Lake Ontario. She went down Sunday, May 31st.

I heard yesterday that they are at Current Cut, Bahamas with a broken boom (better there than 400 miles out, I suppose) and are proposing to go due west to Florida (around Fort Pierce) to replace this boom. They may be already underway under engine and poled-out genoa on a 36 hour, 140 NM trip to get there. There's no advantage in hanging around the Bahamas with a busted boom.

Given that Florida is about the biggest salvage lot on Earth, I would love to use the deep thinkers here on Sailnet to render constructive advice that I can pass to the Toronto-based wife so that she can advise her husband when he reaches Florida. Basically, they need a complete boom of 13-14 feet suitable for the ocean and with all the goodies on it. It could be brand-new or used, and I don't know the details of the mainsheet or bail locations, but that was probably preserved. It sounded like a more or less orderly failure in light airs, so the main is likely OK. I do know that it has a foot for the track and slugs, old school style.

I wish I knew more detail, but as I said, this is at one remove. I found a place online called Wallaby's Fabrications in Fort Pierce, but I haven't contacted them. Frankly, I don't even know where they'll come in at Florida, but I would like to provide some phone numbers.

As a friend of mine pointed out, even if she doesn't do the delivery, equipment failures (and how to deal with them) are part of cruising and are instructive in their own right.

Any help from Florida-based posters will be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Call Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale. If they don't have something, they'll gladly tell you who might.

SAILORMAN (800)523-0772
350 East SR 84; Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
(954)522-6716 ; (954)760-7686 (FAX)
M-SAT 8:30AM-6PM SUN 8:30AM-4:PM
E-MAIL shop@sailorman.com

Also try:
THRIFTY MARINER
3100 WEST S.R. 84
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33312-4876
(954)581-4141
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
how broke I guess you don't know.. Possibly the whisker pole could be used as a temp? Just a WAG. (wild A$$ guess)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Sailor's exchange in St. Augustine if the weather pushes them that far north.

Sailors Exchange,Used Marine Consignment Store

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-03-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
I'll Look around the

Yard and see what I have laying around. Can you tell me the diameter and how the sail is attached. Or you might mention the boat model.

I will see if I can find somthing to fit. You can take the pieces parts off the broken boom to make it work.
Fair Winds

Dave
Green Cove Springs Marina
Old 06-03-2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I've posted them on to currently laid-up Judy Millard of S/V Veleda IV. She'll read them to the skipper or send them via e-mail and he'll get it at his Florida landfall. This is old-school, "we'll call when we get in" sailing, so I don't know where or when it will happen.

They have a great multi-year blog at Veleda IV World Cruise , by the way.

Capn Dave, I know that the boat is an Ontario 32 and that the E measurement is 13 feet, implying with outhaul gear and gooseneck a total length of just under 14 feet or so. I do not know the cross-section, but it is a C&C design of the '70s done for Ontario Yachts, and it probably favours "beefy".

I will include your post in my forwarded message. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I hear anything, I'll post their progress.
Old 06-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Raft up with PBZ and borrow his boom. He's got an Ontario 32...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
He's not using it...maybe he could air freight it!
Old 06-04-2009

You guys are baaaad...No word yet, but I've had some helpful PMs I'll be passing on to Mrs. Skipper.
Old 06-04-2009
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
When I read the title of this thread: "Options for replacing a busted boom on Florida's east coast", I thought it was a misplaced thread on trying to fix the real estate crash in Florida. Guess not!

1908 Wildschut SkŻtsje