Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Diesel intake air, noise and filter

Did a search for "intake air muffler" nada on that one.

Why for, how come, don't our little diesels come with air filters on the intake?
My universal 5416 only has a teardrop shapped thingy that seems to amplify the intake noise.

The intake noise is quite loud on mine, I've seen air intake filters in auto stores that look like they would work, (K&N even) But I would like to reduce the intake noise. I know I could build something. what's the jury say?
thanks all!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009

rob8888 is on a distinguished road
You can use a K&N filter if you can find one that fits the intake manifold stub on your engine, or you could order one for a newer model Universal from Westerbeke if your dealer can find one that will fit... most of them use a cleanable foam filter now. A different air filter may not make much difference... many people insulate the engine compartment to lower engine noise.
Old 06-03-2009

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
I have an air intake filter on my 2001 Volvo MD20. I don't know about noise reduction (?) I'm still learning
Old 06-04-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have a sort of box with a tube on it for my Westerbeke W-52. The tube part has a heavy mesh on it, and I suspect I'm supposed to put some sort of filter element (or maybe a glorified sponge?) in there, but I haven't found a reference to it.
Old 06-04-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Updated Part

Hey,

The teardrop has been replaced with this:

Universal 301139 Ships Store Torresen

Don't faint when you see the price. I'm sure you can find / make something for a lot less.

It also uses this air filter:
Universal 301049 Ships Store Torresen

I bet this would work (it's from an M25)
Universal 302181 Ships Store Torresen

And the price is almost reasonable.

On my engine (M25) the intake noise isn't so bad. The other mechanical noises are much worse. One of the PO's installed a good amount of sound insulation, and with the covers on and closed the engine isn't too loud.

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Did a search for "intake air muffler" nada on that one.

Why for, how come, don't our little diesels come with air filters on the intake?
My universal 5416 only has a teardrop shapped thingy that seems to amplify the intake noise.

The intake noise is quite loud on mine, I've seen air intake filters in auto stores that look like they would work, (K&N even) But I would like to reduce the intake noise. I know I could build something. what's the jury say?
thanks all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2011

addict is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to addict
One option for a quiet intake would be to use the intake from a diesel generator. I know in some applications this may not be doable with space requirements and such. Also, in no way would it be a bolt in. But in the end, a much quieter intake.
Old 08-18-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob8888 View Post
You can use a K&N filter if you can find one that fits the intake manifold stub on your engine, or you could order one for a newer model Universal from Westerbeke if your dealer can find one that will fit... most of them use a cleanable foam filter now. A different air filter may not make much difference... many people insulate the engine compartment to lower engine noise.
A friend of mine recently installed a $52.99 RX-3000 K&N Filter on his Perkins 4-108. The installation required the addition of a Perko 5/8" hose bib to accept the vent hose from the engine. He reports that the filter substantially reduced the noise of his engine, cut down on seapage from his rear seal (a Perkins issue) and seems to have improved his fuel consumption rate by 5-10%. I plan to install the same unit on our engine. K&N can be found at Official K&N Store - Buy Air Filters and Cold Air Intakes - KNFilters.com Store

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.