SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Butyl Tape - Did I find the right stuff? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/55004-butyl-tape-did-i-find-right-stuff.html)

josrulz 06-05-2009 03:17 PM

Butyl Tape - Did I find the right stuff?
 
This might ultimately be a question for Maine Sail, but I'm sure others know as well. I've read a good bit about butyl tape on Sailnet, and have discovered that at least some of my boat's hardware was bedded with it, and definitely the hull-to-deck joint.

I've also read here that some things are called "butyl tape" but aren't really.

So I went to my local RV shop and found this stuff, which is off-white/beige, and I'm very happy about that. Should blend nicely. It's labeled as "Butyl Tape", and feels like the putty that shows up oozing from stuff on my boat.

Is this the right stuff?

By the way, if it IS the right stuff, should I use butyl tape to rebed my in-board, deck-mounted, genoa sheet tracks? They are through-bolted and need to be rebedded.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/...f37a848dc9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/...91340a2106.jpg

Thanks!
-J

arf145 06-05-2009 03:51 PM

Pretty much looks like the stuff Jos, though yours appears thicker and lighter colored than what I have. Mine came in a paper-backed roll like that. The stuff should be quite sticky.

BTW, it's what I'll be using to rebed my genoa sheet tracks sometime this year.

dgr 06-05-2009 04:01 PM

That's the stuff

sailingdog 06-05-2009 04:08 PM

you're good to go... it's really easy stuff to clean up too...

josrulz 06-05-2009 04:13 PM

Sweet. I wanted some stuff that was thinner, so I'll probably have a lot of "ooz" with this stuff when I tighten down hardware, but I think it'll work just fine. I'll use lots of painters tape.

As for genoa tracks, would you use this on the bolts too? I was figuring I'd wrap some around the bolts near the head before tightening everything down. Is this what I should use, or should I use a different sealant at the tops of the bolts?

Thanks!
-J

pdqaltair 06-05-2009 04:27 PM

No tape. Trim with a knife a few minutes after tightening.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by josrulz (Post 492870)
Sweet. I wanted some stuff that was thinner, so I'll probably have a lot of "ooz" with this stuff when I tighten down hardware, but I think it'll work just fine. I'll use lots of painters tape.

As for genoa tracks, would you use this on the bolts too? I was figuring I'd wrap some around the bolts near the head before tightening everything down. Is this what I should use, or should I use a different sealant at the tops of the bolts?

Thanks!
-J

Only light pressure is needed. The tape will just give it something to stick too, in my opinion.

Yeah, same stuff under the bolts.

My favorite uses are stanchion bases and running lights. Consider something else (3M 4200?) where adhesive is needed.

josrulz 06-05-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 492873)
Only light pressure is needed. The tape will just give it something to stick too, in my opinion.

Yeah, same stuff under the bolts.

My favorite uses are stanchion bases and running lights. Consider something else (3M 4200?) where adhesive is needed.

Thanks pdqaltair. I've been using 3M 101 so far in places where I need adhesive, like the chainplate covers, which aren't through-bolted on my boat, so butyl wasn't recommended. Of course, I'm talking all deck stuff--I haven't done any real work below the waterline yet.

jackytdunaway 06-05-2009 08:18 PM

I found 4" wide x 1/16" thick gray from a company called permatite. Since they only sell it in case of 200' rolls i had to find a distributor who was nice enough to have Permatite run me a sample about 12' long. it is great stuff

Maine Sail 06-05-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackytdunaway (Post 492939)
I found 4" wide x 1/16" thick gray from a company called permatite. Since they only sell it in case of 200' rolls i had to find a distributor who was nice enough to have Permatite run me a sample about 12' long. it is great stuff

I thing Grainger sells a very similar product that us wide and thin.

The op's stuff looks like butyl but it is quite thick..

fendertweed 06-05-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 492873)
Only light pressure is needed. The tape will just give it something to stick too, in my opinion.

Yeah, same stuff under the bolts.

My favorite uses are stanchion bases and running lights. Consider something else (3M 4200?) where adhesive is needed.

I'll have to look for some, good idea for running lights.

slight thread drift ... I used 3M 4000 to bed my stanchions ... less permanent than 4200 or 5200 and with more UV protection ... I let it set up for a day snugged just slightly, to form a gasket, then tightened it up 24-48 hrs. later.

Jon


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012