Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2009

avia8or is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 25

I am in the process of purchasing a Bayfield 25. The problem is that the seller promised to fix electric, and engine before sale...although he has not completed any of the things he promised. I'm wondering how expensive it will be to rebuild the small Yanmar diesel engine that's in the boat. And how much do these engines cost if I wanted to replace with a new one? I'm a new to owning a boat and any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Depends upon who is going to get the engine out and put it back. I don't know about the Bayfield, but most installations make it very difficult to get an engine out - and back in. I saw one case where the boat owner just gave up and was trying to sell the boat with the engine disassembled in the boat.

If you are going to ask a marine service center to do the complete job then they can give you a price range.

I wouldn't do it that way. I can remove and re-install the engine myself, so I'd lift it out - maybe in two pieces, head and body - put it on a pallet and take it to a John Deere dealer. John Deere engines are Yanmars, too. I have bought parts for my engine there.
But call John Deere first. Things being what they are, there may be a contractual problem with them working on a marine engine.

Boats with engine problems are not worth much. Not worth anything to some people; a little more to me.
Old 06-06-2009

avia8or is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the great advice...How can I get a replacement engine or what is the best alternative choice? Does yanmar have techs that come out and work on boats? How much approximately would a total rebuilt run?
Old 06-06-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
No. Yanmar does it just like say, GM or Ford. That is, they have distributors who have technicians and you'll have to locate a distributor nearby. Maybe they have a yard where the boat can be stored on the hard. Maybe not; just depends on how things are set up.

I don't know where you are, but in my neck of the woods I would have to go a long way to find a technician. But they are around. And they need work, too.

To me, some of the fun is the challenge of finding the right people and getting them to do the job well. People skills! There's nothing like it. But that's just me. My wife, for example, hates dealing with strange situations and unknowns.
Work within your comfort zone.

PS...I have a friend who rebuilt his 1 Cyl Yanmar himself. So it can be done by any reasonably competent mechanic or diesel shop.
Old 06-06-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I am in the process of purchasing a Bayfield 25. The problem is that the seller promised to fix electric, and engine before sale...although he has not completed any of the things he promised.
So don't give him the money until he does fix them.
Quote:
I'm wondering how expensive it will be to rebuild the small Yanmar diesel engine that's in the boat.
Probably in the neighbourhood of $2,500.00.
Quote:
And how much do these engines cost if I wanted to replace with a new one?
Somewhere around $6,500.00 for the engine. Labour could run as high as $3,500.00 depending on how much you do yourself.

Quote:
I'm a new to owning a boat and any info would be appreciated.
Have you already purchased the boat or are you in the process of doing so ?

Quote:
Thank you,

Sam
You're welcome
Old 06-07-2009

jskrypek is on a distinguished road
There's a Bayfield group on yahoo. Fairly busy and tons of good information. I've seen a couple of used engines for sale at $2000 and someone said they did a cheap rebuild themselves for about $1500. I like my 29 but don't know if I would buy a boat that needed engine repairs unless you plan on doing it all yourself and the price reflects the engine problem.