Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Critical Equipment! BBQ...

So I've owned several BBQs, all either came with a boat or were bought at a swap meet for next to nothing, all were force 10s. I've had on and off problems with cloggages wind blowing them out etc.

The BBQ is an often ignored piece of gear that increases the cruising experience greatly. I've looked at some of the nicer models and scoffed at the prices, (and still do) but since it's such an important piece of gear, I'm ready to pony up and buy a nice one.

Which one do you like and why? All suggestions welcome!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a Magma Newport and have been very happy with it. The latest revision of it comes with folding legs, so that it can be used as a shore picnic grill as well as rail mounted.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I have a Force 10 and think it is okay but not great.
Old 06-07-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
I currently have the small Force 10 and although I like the looks of it better it doesn't cook nearly as well as the Magma I had on my past boat.
To distribute heat more evenly and help with the blow outs I put a layer of lava rocks on a grate just above the burner.
Bill,
Old 06-07-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Dickinson Sea-B-Que all the way! I read all the posts on marine grills I could find here on Sailnet before we bought ours. While Magmas got the most mentions the reviews were mixed, and there were a lot of negative comments on the round grills in particular. All the mentions of Sea-b-ques were positive so thats what we went with and ours is great. I got the small and it works great for us, but if I had more room both on the rail and for storage, I'd have gone for the bigger one. The heat is pretty even and reasonably controllable but you do have to watch it so it doesn't get too hot. I've never had any issue with it blowing out. It has a stand so you can take it ashore and cook out on a picnic table which makes it really versatile.
Old 06-07-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I was disgusted with my Magma because it kept blowing out...then I tried angling the propane input downwind. It's never blown out since. (I think that's what you call 'operator error.') And I like everything else about the grill too. They come in 2 sizes and they keep there looks if you use a cover.
Old 06-08-2009
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Dickinson Sea-B-Que all the way! I read all the posts on marine grills I could find here on Sailnet before we bought ours. While Magmas got the most mentions the reviews were mixed, and there were a lot of negative comments on the round grills in particular. All the mentions of Sea-b-ques were positive so thats what we went with and ours is great. I got the small and it works great for us, but if I had more room both on the rail and for storage, I'd have gone for the bigger one. The heat is pretty even and reasonably controllable but you do have to watch it so it doesn't get too hot. I've never had any issue with it blowing out. It has a stand so you can take it ashore and cook out on a picnic table which makes it really versatile.

I second the Dickinson. We also have the small version. The thing cooks well and is built like a tank.
Old 06-08-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I have a Kuuma and like it.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 06-08-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I'm so disappointed in CD, this thread has been up for at least 24 hours and he has not responded yet, WTH is going on in the world today!?.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-08-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I'm so disappointed in CD, this thread has been up for at least 24 hours and he has not responded yet, WTH is going on in the world today!?.
I don't know, but I saw the grill below at my local specialty grocers and immediately thought of him. I know that we would totally put this on his boat, just need a custom arch mount for it...

Our little blog has moved!

Last edited by Mimsy; 06-08-2009 at 10:26 AM.