Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-07-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
3 years ago my first boat did not have a dodger and it was all I knew so to me it wasn't something I would have added...on my new to me boat it came with a very good quality custom dodger and OH MY GOD I would never own a boat without it!!! I mostly cruise on my boat - not race so my girl friend and I love the dodger and this is why:

Like everyone else said to be able to keep the companion way open when it rains.

However the #1 reason is not even for wind and wave protection. Forget beating into wind and waves...but just sitting on the mooring in the evening when the temp drops. The boat is always pointed into the wind and it is heavnely being able to sit in the cockpit and be out of the wind. Just this weekend I did a short little cruise and rafted up to my buddies two parker fishing boats. 3 guys and 3 ladies. At night the wind piped up and the temp dropped and all 3 girls were sitting in the cockpit with a lantern and candle sipping on their cocktails and so happy they were out of the wind.

I agree with Cam and others that a dodger will not stop you from getting wet but on anchor or a mooring or beating into wind / waves it makes a world of difference as you are totally wind free and comfortable in the cockpit. I dont want to make any assumptions on the original post but it almost sounds as if you havn't experienced how a quality made dodger works. Since getting mine I have been on other's boats where to put it frankly the dodgers were pieces of crap and they really didn't do anything. A good dodger is amazing in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Best seat in the house

Sitting under the dodger, underway, feet up resting on the cushions....best seat there is. Penumbra of relaxation. Nice wind break at anchor too. And as also has been said you can get a break from the weather on auto pilot. Put me on the must have list.
Old 06-07-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Its called a dodger because you dodge under it when green water boards the boat. Don't go off-shore without one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I just sailed about 400 nm across Caribbean sea in some pretty nasty conditions. It was blowing up to 30kts sustained with 10 ft. waves according to NWS forecast (and when NWS says "some waves may be more than twice that height" they are *NOT* kidding, apparently). His boat has a dodger and it's been absolutely lifesaving. If not for that - every single wave that came overboard would end up right on you. As it stands, sitting in the corner behind the dodger or standing under it kept you relatively dry most of the time.

My boat has a windshield, a hard top and a pretty full enclosure btw
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook