SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   What type of sealant do you think this is? (

tkringstad 06-06-2009 09:30 PM

What type of sealant do you think this is?
2 Attachment(s)
Dropped our rudder to repair a crack in the seam, which required removing a bronze piece at the base of the skeg. (Not sure what proper name is for this piece) Curious to know what type of sealant or adhesive might have been used. Best guess is one of the following:

- West Marine Polyether Multi-Caulk Sealant
- 3M 101 Polysulfide Marine Sealant
- 3M 4200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant

The bronze piece came off easy enough, but I don't know that this implies it was a caulking material vs. an adhesive sealant.

Hopefully the following image will display properly...

Attachment 3987

Bronze piece that was removed:

Attachment 3988


JohnRPollard 06-07-2009 07:10 AM


I responded to your PM via PM.

But just to get the ball rolling here, I expresses the opinion that 3M 101 would be a good choice for re-bedding the rudder gudgeon. Given the size of those bolts, and the potential need to remove the gudgeon again in the future, I don't think any adhesive qualities are called for.

dgr 06-08-2009 12:38 PM

That piece is called a rudder shoe.

Isn't WM polyether pretty new on the market? There really isn't anyway to know without a scratch and sniff monitor.

drobarge 06-10-2009 02:57 AM

plumbers putty...

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome