Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2009

rob8888 is on a distinguished road
In many marine toilets the toilet needs to be mounted at a height so that the water level outside the boat is about 1/4 way up the bowl to get the bowl to fill to the same level. Put a temporary clear hose on the flush water through-hull and mark the water level on the wall beside the toilet with a piece of tape or a pencil, then install the toilet at a height that will put the line 1/4 way up the bowl. If the toilet is higher than the water level it will pump OK but it won't partially fill. The water line between the hand pump and the back of the toilet where the water goes into the bowl needs to be run several feet above the water line and have an anti-siphon valve at the top of the loop to make sure the toilet won't start a siphon and sink the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
It's time for all you geniuses to think out of the box. It's time to figure out a better way of dealing with waste on a sailboat easily and responsibly. I am so disheartened to read these threads. So many things go wrong, so much time wasted working on a fix. There's got to be a simpler way to move waste from you to the holding tank.
I started sailing when I was 12 and at 30 bought a cruising boat - 33 Hunter. Used, clean, surveyed - only things that went wrong were weather related ie sudden squall ripping a jib to shreds. I just maintained that work horse of a production boat and I suppose luck played a part. Sailed her hard for 5 years, sold her to raise a family on land. Now I'm ready to buy again and I just don't want to deal with head and plumbing problems. I just dread it. I think I'd rather use a bucket with lehman's composting gel and dump it in the holding tank.
Old 06-08-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmum View Post
Now I'm ready to buy again and I just don't want to deal with head and plumbing problems. I just dread it. I think I'd rather use a bucket with lehman's composting gel and dump it in the holding tank.
Let us know how that works out for you.
Old 06-08-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Just pump several times prior to using it, the bowl will be wet and "stuff" won't stick to it (usually). We've had one for years and it works great.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-08-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
ever hear

ever hear of sarcasm ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Let us know how that works out for you.
and I will. Thanks...
Old 06-09-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
[B]pre-filling the bowl by pouring a little water into the bowl is probably a good idea before using it for solid waste...since it will allow the head to flush more cleanly...
Yup, I've been on a few boats that would not fill the bowl with the switch in 'flush or fill' mode. Used the hand held shower head to wet the bowl, switch to 'dry' afterwards and pump. Use additional water from the shower head as needed to completely clear the bowl. Although quite capable, I've never clogged one yet!
Old 06-09-2009
S/V Loon

TaylorC is on a distinguished road
Use a toilet brush

We keep a toilet brush next to each head, wedged back behind the hoses so it stays next to the head. I expect my crew to use it when they engage the head for something serious. Why should either the skipper, or worse still the first mate have to clean toilets on the boat?

Neither my newly rebuilt Groco type K or my Ratitan PHII (with newly replaced pump) fills more than an inch or so. These are double acting pumps, they draw water in on one stroke, evacuate waste on the other stroke, and the dry/flush value just controls it raw water is allowed into the bowl.
Old 06-10-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
If the bowl does not fill, I can't see how these things don't get, you know, stuck all over the bowl then stink like crazy...
About 10 years ago I heard on another list that bugs Don't Like "Lemon Fresh" JOY dish detergent so we use that for dishes. I also always keep a slightly diluted squeeze bottle in the head and before I sit down for some solid business I give the bowl a light coating to help move things along. I also always use the "dry" not "sea water" setting on the input and use either the shower flexible hose on previous boats or the same type hose that comes right out of my head sink apparently just for that purpose to wash down the "stuff" and keep the smelly dead sea water beasties out of the picture completely.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By not filling the bowl using the flush or wet setting, you're likely to be damaging the seals in the raw water side of the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
About 10 years ago I heard on another list that bugs Don't Like "Lemon Fresh" JOY dish detergent so we use that for dishes. I also always keep a slightly diluted squeeze bottle in the head and before I sit down for some solid business I give the bowl a light coating to help move things along. I also always use the "dry" not "sea water" setting on the input and use either the shower flexible hose on previous boats or the same type hose that comes right out of my head sink apparently just for that purpose to wash down the "stuff" and keep the smelly dead sea water beasties out of the picture completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
By not filling the bowl using the flush or wet setting, you're likely to be damaging the seals in the raw water side of the pump.
Then why the heck do they give you the option then ???????? Any way that's the way I've been doing it for 3 years on one boat, 6 years on another boat, and now I'm into my 4th year on this boat - With No Problems. So I and many other people I know will continue to not use sea water to flush with and I'm not the Slightest Bit Worried about any problems you may have imagined.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI