Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2009

Fredpinczuk is on a distinguished road
1973 Ericson 27 window repair

Would someone know the source of gasket to repair the hatches on my Ericson.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Is it a hatch or a port??? Hatches are generally larger, with an aluminum frame, mounted horizontally and open. Ports are generally smaller and may be framed in bronze, plastic, aluminum or stainless steel and mounted vertically, and not all open. Some ports, usually deadlights, are unframed and do not open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2009

Port parts

Ports, still getting back into the jargon. The port seal material is very brittle and I've seen evidence of leaks

And I also would like to upgrade the Hatch (only 1), but that will be later in the year,

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Is it a hatch or a port??? Hatches are generally larger, with an aluminum frame, mounted horizontally and open. Ports are generally smaller and may be framed in bronze, plastic, aluminum or stainless steel and mounted vertically, and not all open. Some ports, usually deadlights, are unframed and do not open.
Old 06-08-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Fred,

I've got a '79 E27 and hitting the same issue. The seal between the frame and the cabin is perfect, but the rubber seal around several of the windows is leaking.

Mine are an aluminum frames, with a bezel on the inside the is screwed to the frame. The frames are each two halves with a rubber gasket that wraps around the glass.

It looks to me that the best option is to pull the full window and frame, separate the two halves and reseat everything. However, as the frame-cabin joint is perfect on mine, it doesn't make much sense for me to pull it. My plan is to cut the gasket out, clean the glass and frame then use NP1 caulk as a glazing material.
Old 06-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
photos of the port would be useful.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009

Here are a couple of pictures, the port window in the head as the most damage and I believe is beyond repair. Someone (a genius) used silicone to fill the drains and sitting water took out the seals on the sliding windows and corroded the alluminum. I will need to replace that one. The other ports are fixed, I am simply looking to re-seal them. Would anyone have a good source for the seal required? Also would anyone know were I can find the little plastic clips to hold the curtains in place?

Clip for curtain

cabing port

Head port
Old 06-17-2009

RhosynMor is on a distinguished road
Give Maritime plastics in Annapolis a call
410-263-4424, they can help you with the ports and hatches
for the plastic clips, joannes fabrics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.