Good idea or not: Downhaul for hank-on jib - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-08-2009

I'm not certain if this is a jib net but I have had bungee looped on to stantions on the port side then pull it to center cleat to pin my jib to the deck on one side. I did this as my anchor was hung on the starboard side. This was on my Macgregor. I don't have it but will be adding a similar setup to my AMX
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 06-08-2009

I have used a jib downhaul on my boat to good effect for several years now. It's simple to rig, simple to use, makes a big difference in higher winds.

Sailing isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
post #13 of 20 Old 06-08-2009

When I single-handed to Mexico I rigged a downhaul. Last thing you want is a sail pushing you over board. I ran the halyard back to the cockpit also. After a while you will be able to lay the sail right onto the deck while you are safe in the cockpit......i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

I wouldn't know what I'd do without it! It's great to have for single-handing and I expect that you'll find that you have less trouble than anticipated in keeping your sail on board when you bring it down smartly with the downhaul.

Try to get as clean a run to the cockpit as you can with the downhaul, avoiding too many turning blocks which will not only impart friction but be potential fouling points. I ran mine from the cabin top directly forward to the base of the fore stay, and it lays nicely on deck with the sail hoisted. Alternate your hanks to either side of the downhaul when you hank on your sail and the downhaul will lay nicely along the fore stay with the sail hoisted. I'd also install a cleat for it so that, once your sail is down, you can secure the hauling part and keep the head and tack of the sail "nailed down" at the base of the fore stay.

Don Casey has some good instructions on the project in his, 100 fast and easy Boat Improvements book. Amazon.com: 100 FAST & EASY BOAT IMPROVEMENTS: Don Casey: Books

You're going to be really happy with the results of this project.

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-08-2009
Aeolus II

I use a downhaul on my main

I have my Genoa rigged with a roller furler so there is no need for a downhail. But on my main I have rigged a downhaul to assist in lowering the main as I release the halyard from the cockpit. I also have a set of lazyjacks rigged to "catch" the sail as it comes down. Now, if you could figure a way to rig a lazyjack for the jib you would be set.

Joe McCary,
Sailing on The Central Chesapeake Bay, West River, MD on my Catalina 27, Aelous II with my wife and friends.
Sailing Blog:
post #16 of 20 Old 07-02-2009
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira
Gerr Downhaul

to gather your sail you might want to look at the "Gerr Downhaul"
post #17 of 20 Old 07-02-2009

Also consider splicing the downhaul and halyard into a continuous line.

There is less to coil that way!

I did this on my 27' cat and was very happy with the result.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

post #18 of 20 Old 07-02-2009

Consider running the downhaul line from the block at the tack directly back to the cockpit on the centerline of the boat and then to a cam cleat to keep it tidy. You could run it through a cheek block on one side of the mast or even on deck to keep the run straight.

Spectra or Dyneema are great here because they can be quite thin and still do the job without putting weight and tangles aloft.

An idea I had to "improve" a jib downhaul is to make a rather large loop. Put the top of the loop through the headboard or through the jib halyard shackle and run either side of the loop down to blocks either side of the forestay. When you pull downwards, the pull is even either side of the hanks, and so the chance of snagging is lessened and the speed of the drop can be controlled by easing the halyard at the desired speed.

I came up with this idea while contemplating putting reef points in my staysail.

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
post #19 of 20 Old 07-04-2009

Had a set up like you are talking about on my 26.5 Hunter. My jib would not drop all the way and had to be lowered by hand. It worked very well. Held the jib down till I could get out on the fore deck to bag it. Also had a net on the life lines to keep the jib inboard.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-04-2009

I ran downhauls on all my headsails on my gaff-topsail ketch by attaching to the head and running down to a bronze ring that I whipped to a hank on the sail. The hank was at a point where the clew was perpendicular to the stay. I then ran the downhaul out through one side of the clew and back to another ring and down to a block mounted near the tack and back to the cockpit. When pulling the downhaul, the head is pulled down and the clew is pulled forward bringing all three corners of the sail together.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.