Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Note that I'm looking at Rust Reformer. (Not Rust Restorer as originally posted.)

The web site says "Not for immersion use".

Sway- I have a question into the Ospo people to see if theirs is for immersion use. That may be the way to go.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Bene,
The ospo is used to get rid of the rust that is there and than it is removed. It is not a coating to protect from getting rust and it is not left on after it has done its job. I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

If your getting rust coming through your first coat of Interprotect, that means you did not get it all out in the first place. The cast Iron keel is very porous and the rust is deep in there. You have to get it all out or no matter what you put over it, it will continue to rust from the inside out.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-09-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
bene if you go to home depot they sell a concrete etch that is just phoso acid, not a paint. if you dilute it 2 to 3 to one ( water/acid ) it will convert the rust and etch the surface. this will allow paint to stick well, as well as put a thin iron phosphate coating that will help resist rusting and can be put under water as it is not a paint

basicly it is in the firearm world called parkerizing, it will bubble when you apply it. i would get a cheap garden sprayer and spray it on, with several applications over and hour. make sure you stand up wind, due to the smell.
"edit" when done appling rinse it off, not grind or wire brush just lots of water. it might flash rust a little, but that wont hurt it it should wipe and sand off when preping for interprotect

Last edited by scottyt; 06-09-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Bene,

The actual product I used for the keel was Jasco 'Prep & Primer.' This product converts the rust from ferrous iron to iron phosphate. You can apply it with a brush to new metal or to rusted metal.

Another product that works real well is Loctite 'Extend.' Use this product on lightly rusted iron. I have used this on exposed metal on my trailer and other rusted objects that are open to the environment. It does not work on shiny metal...only on rusted metal. I have only seen this product in spray cans, but I understand it is available in a brush-on liquid as well.

A third product I've heard of is called 'Rust Mort.' I've never seen this stuff, but I understand it works like the others do.

I have no direct experience with the Rustoleum product, but it sounds like the same sort of primer as those above. I'm afraid my previous post sounded as if I had used the Rustoleum product. Sorry about that.

After using the Jasco product on the keel, I used fairing compound to fill and fair the keel. Following that, I laid a piece of fiberglass cloth along the leading and bottom edges of the keel, wetted out with epoxy. I then put several coats of 2-part epoxy (I used West Systems) on the keel, followed by my antifouling.

I have observed no rust yet on the keel, nor has any rust appeared on the trailer parts that I coated with the 'Extend.' I got the idea to use these products from a video that Catalina produced on refinishing the swing keel of the C22. The gentleman who demonstrates the process on the video sails his boat in the Great Salt Lake...many time saltier than the ocean. So I figured if this stuff worked on his keel, it will work on mine.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Old 06-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Bene,
The ospo is used to get rid of the rust that is there and than it is removed. It is not a coating to protect from getting rust and it is not left on after it has done its job. I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

If your getting rust coming through your first coat of Interprotect, that means you did not get it all out in the first place. The cast Iron keel is very porous and the rust is deep in there. You have to get it all out or no matter what you put over it, it will continue to rust from the inside out.
Note there was no rust on the part that bled through. It was a very humid day, however, when it was sealed.

There have got to be many 1000s of people that have touched up rust spots on their keel...
Old 06-09-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Straight West System epoxy will stick better than Interprotect, be more water resistant and is much harder. Interprotect is easy to work and apply at a performance price. The staight epoxy will also better hold in any of the rust-filler divots you may not be able to completely clean.

You can make this job a life's effort, or you can do once, what has worked for others.
Old 06-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Wow. I'm watching the days slip by as I struggle with this. In cruising other sites, there seems to be several different ways to solve this. I'd like to go with Ortho now, but I wonder if it's the same thing as the Rust Reformer that I already have on. But Interlux has their method and now sailingfool mentions west systems epoxy instead.

That, and my season is only 3 months long due to kids school/sports.

It's getting a little daunting. I really wish there was a straightforward, tested, consumer-reports style, best, "do this dummy".
Old 06-09-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Brad,

Short of sand blasting the entire keel, Ospho or other phosphoric acid-based rust "converter" is a reasonable thing to put under the Interlux epoxy primer. I almost flunked high school chemistry, but I think what these products are doing is stripping the O molecule off the Fe and replacing it with a phosphorous molecule -- Ferrous oxide becomes ferrous phosphate (or something like that). What's important is to get the O away from the Fe. Once that's done you can put on the Interlux primer, which I think needs at least 4 coats ( put two thick ones on BR's keel before the antifouling went on. We'll see how it goes when we haul in the fall).

At this point in the season -- my recommendation would be to slap on the Ospho (or something similar) and then coat it with Interlux 2000 (several coats) then anti-foul and put the old girl in the water!!!!!! Whatever you've done to that point may not be perfect and may not permanently solve the problem, but it won't make it worse.

You can sort things out when you haul in September/October. If the paint has failed over the summer (rust bleeding through), then haul the boat in a yard where they can sandblast it properly and let them paint it -- that way, if it rusts through you have someone to fix it. Let it sit primed over the winter. By spring you'll know if the yard's fix worked. You can then fair the keel, prime the faring and then anti-foul.

Time marches on!!! Go sailing.
Old 06-10-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You can paint directly over Ospho. I am not knowledgeable of how epoxy products adhere to it. It'll be fine for immersion. It's the principle rust-fighting product used on merchant ships for non-shipyard maintenance.
Old 06-10-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
At this point in the season -- my recommendation would be to slap on the Ospho (or something similar) and then coat it with Interlux 2000 (several coats) then anti-foul and put the old girl in the water!!!!!! Whatever you've done to that point may not be perfect and may not permanently solve the problem, but it won't make it worse.
I agree. Time to get the boat splashed.

Some comments:

1. Phosporic acid is an alternative to grinding/sanding rusty metal. It attacks the rust quickly, but the iron slowly. If you grind/sand to bare metal, no need for phosphoric acid or other products that use it as the active ingredient. Note that tHE MSDS for Rustoleum Rust Reformer does not list phosporic acic as an ingredient so it is a product that converts rust to a hard material that can be painted.

2. I suspect the "rust through" you experienced is because the one coat of I2000 you applied wasn't enough to seal the iron and the "high points' started rusting in the wet humid weather we have had in the last few weeks.

3. There are a number of approaches to sealing the keel after you have it down to bare metal. I have used Interprotect 2000, but epoxy resin is certainly an option. I decided not to go that way because I was concerned that if I had adhesion problems, getting back to bare metal again would be a major job.

As you know Brad, I've seen your keel, and other than the bulb, its in good shape. At this point, I would clean up the bad spots as best you can, seal with multilpe coats of Interprotect 2000, and apply bottom paint.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.