Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Finishing Sea Hood Repair

This is a continuation of my previous post, "failed sea hood". I followed Sailingdog's suggestions and epoxied two layers of 4 mil Marine ply to the top of the sea hood. I Added a fillet and two layers of glass on the bottom of the hood and new top. Now, I need to finish the top. Should I glass (with micro balloons) over the new top and outside of the sea hood? Should I fair the hood to top gap with thickened epoxy or Bondo? I was even thinking about placing the old top (bottom two pictures) on top to stiffen it (probably does't need it) and use the non skid pattern. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing Sea Hood Repair-sea-hood-new-top.jpg   Finishing Sea Hood Repair-sea-hood-plywood-added.jpg   Finishing Sea Hood Repair-top-old-top.jpg   Finishing Sea Hood Repair-old-top-end-view.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 06-09-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
This is a continuation of my previous post, "failed sea hood". I followed Sailingdog's suggestions and epoxied two layers of 4 mil Marine ply to the top of the sea hood. I Added a fillet and two layers of glass on the bottom of the hood and new top. Now, I need to finish the top. Should I glass (with micro balloons) over the new top and outside of the sea hood?
Glad to help.

Yes, that would be a good way to finish it up and add considerable strength to the repair.

Quote:
Should I fair the hood to top gap with thickened epoxy or Bondo?
Just use thickened epoxy and do it as part of the glassing new top to the exterior of the old sea hood.

Quote:
I was even thinking about placing the old top (bottom two pictures) on top to stiffen it (probably does't need it) and use the non skid pattern. Thoughts?
I think going with a good non-skid paint, like Interdeck would make more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-09-2009

[QUOTE=sailingdog;494154] Glad to help.
Just use thickened epoxy and do it as part of the glassing new top to the exterior of the old sea hood.
[/QUOTE
I'm still not clear on how to complete the finish surface (and have yet to find reference material that deals with a similar situation, including West's how to guide). So, I fair the hood/Plywood joint with thickened epoxy. Then, I put cloth and epoxy over the whole repair, or just epoxy with micro balloons?
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would fair the join with thickened epoxy and then put a layer of cloth or two over the whole repair and then fair the cloth with thickened epoxy. If you don't fair with thickened epoxy, the cloth pattern will print through the paint or gelcoat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-15-2009

Done!

Completed the repair, and I have to say, I surprised myself! Put 2 layers cloth underneath and determined it wasn't quite strong enough to stand on (I'm a big guy). Added a layer of roving that that did it. Used Bondo and fairing compound to make the transition from the exterior sides to the new top. Laid a layer of Epoxy (no cloth or filler over the entire top. Primed and painted it, embedding a layer of sand for non skid. I also built up the bottom where the builder had used a 1/4" of teak to raise it up (thereby eliminating the teak, which never made sense to me). Looks professional IMO, which is more than I expected for my first glass job that required a finish. Thanks to Sailingdog who inspired me to give it a try!

Last edited by L124C; 07-15-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2009
Telstar 28

Post a photo when you get a chance... glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-16-2009

Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing Sea Hood Repair-0707091350.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009
Telstar 28

Nicely done...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
from the pics with the wood, to finished i am impressed. i did not think it would turn out that well, good job
Old 07-16-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
I'll give you a 2 thumbs up on that one, It looks great!

Dave

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.