Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
A crude example but it works for me.
Two ascenders, chair, and foot stirrups.
Old 06-09-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
The bosun's chair would certainly be more comfortable than a climbing harness. However, as you have to stand up / put weight on your feet, to raise the ascender (attached to the chair), I would feel more comfortable wearing a climbing harness as well. You could use a wedding sling to extend the harness belay loop so that it attaches to the ascender, at the same point as the chair. The harness would also be the proper attachment point for a safety line (spare halyard) with a short loop of rope and a prussik knot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2009

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Easy Climbing

All these ideas seem like a lot of effort!
I use the Mast Mate. Nylon Web Ladder.

In an hour I can remove the Main Sail from the sailtrack. Host up the Mast Mate. Make 1 or 2 trips up to the top.
Remove the Mast Mate and store it back into the bag.
Put back up the Main Sail.
Simply and easy............
Old 06-13-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Hey, Backcreeksailor! Rent a forklift!

You could always walk into one of the rigging shops in town and ask what they use. In my experience, they're always willing to tell you.

A lot of the suggestions above seem pretty complicated (knots?? caribbeaners?? huh??), something you don't want to monkey with if you're not used to climbing the stick and are already nervous. The ATN TopClimber is easy to use and uncomplicated, though maybe a little slow.

The best part is, I have a TopClimber and a good length of static line and I'll be going out to Annapolis today. If you PM me by 10:00 this morning, we can figure out how to get it to you. You can try it and evaluate it without spending any dough.

-- PK
Old 06-13-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck711 View Post
All these ideas seem like a lot of effort!
I use the Mast Mate. Nylon Web Ladder.

In an hour I can remove the Main Sail from the sailtrack. Host up the Mast Mate. Make 1 or 2 trips up to the top.
Remove the Mast Mate and store it back into the bag.
Put back up the Main Sail.
Simply and easy............
That works great unless it is a mainsail jam you need to fix.
Old 06-13-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Good point Cam.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-13-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
What Northeaster & Tager said. Don't need a tackle if you use your legs. I advise descending the same way; unless you are vastly experienced, it's too complicated to change from ascenders or top anchors to a rappelling device -- one of the more gripping moments in climbing is when you unload your anchors and settle onto your ATC. And rapping requires the bottom of the rap line be very slack. Then you'll pendulum all over the place. For a line fixed top & bottom, stick with ascenders both directions.
Old 06-13-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
That works great unless it is a mainsail jam you need to fix.
it also doesn't work so great if you have a bad knee & aren't comfortable standing on a flimsy ladder for extended periods of work aloft.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 06-15-2009

84westy is on a distinguished road
I guess I should start by saying I have never been up my mast, but have spent some time climbing. I have never used a block and tackle setup to ascend fixed lines. I would opt for life-support rated static rope to ascend on. Dynamic climbing rope does not do well long term with rope abrasion caused by mechanical ascenders like the Petzl models I use. I like the dual stirup setup for the lower ascender, as it allows use of both legs to do the climbing. I had an ascender that attached to one foot, but it only let you climb on one leg. For the upper unit I use a Petzl shunt, but I believe the manufacturer says to use a descender above the shunt for that purpose. When it is time to transition from ascending to descending, you'll have to add a piece of gear (ATC, figure-8, or whatever); which can be difficult since you have to remove your body weight from the line to put the device in line. I don't know of a method that will allow descending from the same device.
Old 06-15-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Hey Backcreek,

I'm a relatively new to sailing, but I've been a professional mountaineer and climbing guide for over 15 years. I'm a certified Rock Guide by the AMGA, and a member of Mountain Rescue Service here in North Conway NH. I've done lots of ascending/descending for both rescue work and big wall climbing.

Now, having tooted my own horn on that..I also should admit I've never climbed a mast. I just recently got a boat with a mast big enough to climb.

As such, I can't comment on what's the best way to climb as mast, but I will say that with systems such as these, it's always best to keep it simple. Keep the ropes, knots and bits of gear to a minimum. I've taught basic rope ascending to lots of people and always, always any added complication just ads to confusion and mistakes.

In reality, you need little equipment: a harness, a few locking carabiners, some webbing for foot loops and some 5 or 6 mill cord for prussic hitches.

The basics are difficult to describe. Here's a pretty good video that shows the basics: YouTube - Ascending Up a Rope

I'd skip the mechanical advantage systems. I'm not real clear how riggers are using it, but can't see how it would be any advantage for one person. Too much complication. It always sounds good in theory, but every turn of the rope though something ads drag, and the rope hangs up, doesn't flow like you think it should. In rescue work, we use systems with lots of redundancy, and often build in mechanical advantage because of the loads, but then we often have people to help tend all the devices the ropes go though. Picture this: you are hanging in a harness on the rope off the deck...no weight on your feet..easily slide up your ascender with foot loops attached..put your weight onto your feet and stand up using your leg muscles. Your torso goes up, with the rope freely traveling through an ascender near your chest you can just sit back and loose no height. With added pulleys, blocks and whatnot, the rope often gets hung up, and you don't have a free hand to work it loose..when you sit back down into your harness you end up back where you started from.

If you want to spend some money get some ascenders instead of the prussics although it's not really necessary. Ascenders are helpful in the climbing world when you need to climb hundreds of feet of rope at once, perhaps for many days in a row. To climb a 50 foot mast, you might save 10 minutes using ascenders instead of prussic hitches..it's up to you. No safety difference since the ascending tools aren't relied on to save your life.

The Big Gun Harness is nice, good that it has adjustable leg loops, but remember that a $40 Alpine Bod Harness will do the same thing. There's no difference in safety and you'd not likely notice any difference in comfort. In climbing difficult big walls like El Cap, it's not uncommon for the belayer to sit for 2 or 3 hours hanging in the harness, spend 20 minutes ascending the rope then hangs again for a couple hours over and over again. These guys notice subtle differences, and like nice harneses. When I'm guiding, I spend much of the day hanging in my harness and it's not as nice as the Big Gun!

Rope, static or dynamic? It won't make much difference. Static ropes tend to be stiffer so ascenders slide up them better where dynamic rope might fold above the ascender, but the actual difference won't matter in a 50 foot ascent. If you were climbing a 200 foot length of dynamic rope you end up going nowhere for the first 10 feet as you stretch the rope under your weight. Mechanical ascenders or prussic hitches won't damage either. The teeth on some mechanical ascenders look mean, but the don't damage rope under normal use.

Descender? You can use a Munter and a carabiner, but it puts a wicked twist into the rope below you. Not the end of the world but a pain nonetheless. I'd suggest a simple figure eight device.

How to tie off? Well, in climbing what we do is climb up a section of rope and then take a bight of rope just below where we are at (under the ascenders) and tie a figure-eight on a bight and clip it directly to your harness with a locking carabiner. Climb another short distance, then tie a new figure of eight on a bight and clip this to your harness with a different locking carabiner, then undo the first figure eight. The idea is you are never without being tied to your rope with the figure-eight on a bight, not even for a few seconds. You don't trust your life to the ascenders. How often you "back tie" depends how far you are willing to fall. Above a deck, you can't risk falling very far. With a static rope, you also can't risk falling very far.

You'll also need to know how to safely make the transition from ascending to descending. It helps to know how to back up your rappell:

See: Rock Climbing Tech Tips: Backing Up An Abseil

On the above page the setup you want is called "Friction Knot Below The Descending Device". It puts a prussic hitch where your hand is below the device. You can set the hitch to lock below the device so you can stop if you need to on the way down and go hands free. The hitch will also make it difficult for you to go to fast.

Ascending and descending a rope is not difficult, strenuous or dangerous if done right, but you'd be surprised how many little things can trip you up. Go slow, think about what you are doing and practice.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
After looking around at all the gadgets and gizmos that I could buy to get up my mast. I noticed that virtually ALL professional riggers that climb masts on a daily basis use a block & tackle setup with rock climbing gear. So that's what I decided to go with.

I'm putting together my rig now, but it's hard to actually ask real rock climbers about equipment selections, because the one's I've talked to don't seem to understand what you do and don't need for climbing a 40'-60' aluminum pole while moving around standing and running rigging without getting hung up.

Here's what I've got on order so far:
  1. 75mm Harken Carbo Ratchet Block w/ Becket for the top pulley
  2. 75mm Harken Carbo Single Block for the pulley that will be attached to my harness (I want a 3:1 lift setup)
  3. Black Diamond Big Gun Harness

So I need some advice on what else I need from any of you that use climbing gear to get up your mast solo.
  • Since it's a 3:1 rig, I'm going with 200' of 7/16" line. But I'm not sure if I should get "Dynamic" (high stretch) line or "Static" (low stretch) line. The larger diameter static line is cheaper, but the lower diameter dynamic is what they recommend in applications where you might fall, (which is not in my plans). I'm figuring since the anchor point for the top block is going to be a low stretch halyard, then there's no point in using high stretch line. So low strech static line should be my choice, right?
  • I'm assuming I need a symmetrical oval screw lock carabiner to attach the lower single block pulley to my harness. But what (if any) other carabiners do I need?
  • Do I need a mechanical ascender?
  • What should I used for a descender? Just a carabiner and a munter hitch seem to a be simple solution, but there are dozens of other types of belay plates, figure 8's, and mechanical devices for this purpose too?

Lastly and most importantly... What's the most simple and fool proof way to actually tie off while you're working? I'm looking for something that will hold me firmly and without question. But I also want something that's easy to "un"-tie and nearly impossible to jam or hang up when it's time to come back down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.