Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
A not so nice refit surprise...

So, here I am, going along with sanding the cabin top and dressing the edges when I discover an issue with the companionway hatch. Seeing as the only way to repair it right is to take apart the hatch trunk, I start after it. I drill out the bungs (some morons epoxied them in) and start pulling screws. I get the trunk screws out and drive a wedge to break it loose, no joy... I pull a screw in the forward trim to check depth, it's not long enough to reach through the trunk top but I figure there's hidden screws and pull them all.

Lo and behold, the piece won't budge and I can see a glue line. I go below and scrape interior paint looking for screws from inside. Nope, hmm, there's some gorgeous varnished mahogany under that paint... The only way to get the trunk off it to remove that wood. Unfortunately, the previous industrious IDIOTS epoxied that piece down too so I had to destroy it to get it off. No, the heat gun wouldn't touch it.

Why on earth would anyone epoxy down a trim piece that covers fasteners? Just more wood I gotta buy and this ones a complex curve so I'm gonna need a 3"x6"x30" piece to start from.

Anyway, it's progressing as you can see in the picture of the house front with just a sealer coat of CPES on it.

I think I'm gonna seal and varnish the house and bulwarks before putting down the Sanitred.

I found mahogany with varnish under the paint on both the trunk and companionway hatch so I considering leaving them bright too.

Boy, some sanding sure makes that Luan look much better..

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
Charlie,
I sure hope you got a good price for your boat. I sure looks like a BIG project to me. If you can put a overall photo of the boat online so we can see, as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story".

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 06-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Mike - he's put up a few photos of Oh Joy prior to the re-fit and she is freakin' beautiful. And, yes, he got a stupid great deal on her.

Charlie - you're doing great work dude! Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress via these threads. It's waaaayyyyyy better than actually having to sand.
Old 06-09-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Charlie, you are a complete bad ass. The attention to detail you are lavishing on Oh Joy will be rewarded to you by the gasps of peole when they see her in all her glory. Keep up the amazing work and thanks so much for updating us. I always look forward to your update threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 06-09-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Mike, here she is looking better but not as good as she will when I'm done.

Yes, I got a good deal. I bought her for twenty dollars and sailed her for 18 months before I started this project.

Smack, the sanding isn't that bad. It's the bullshyte I have to fix that others have done to this old girl that sucks.
Old 06-09-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Coming along very nicely Charlie...better you than me though!! She will be something when you are done!
Old 06-09-2009
On the hard

Thanks folks. A whole lotta sweat and more to come...
Old 06-09-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Charlie,

I am admiring your work and work ethic. I know she will be wonderful when you are done, but following this just reminds me of why my boat has almost no wood.

Good luck.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.

Old 06-09-2009
On the hard

I wasn't looking for a wooden boat but this one found me, literally. After sailing her through a force 10 storm on her maiden voyage, I wouldn't trade her for a plastic boat, at least I don't think I would... Having more room would help though. Maybe I can find a bigger classic eh?
Old 06-09-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I wouldn't trade her for a plastic boat, at least I don't think I would... Having more room would help though. Maybe I can find a bigger classic eh?
Oh no you don't! You need to finish Oh Joy, enjoy her for a while before you start your next project. Your next project boat should be for somebody else who is willing to pay you an obscene amount of money for your craftsmanship and expertise in restoring classic yachts which you will then blow on varnish and canvas for Oh Joy.

Our little blog has moved!