Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Finally Finished High-Water Alarm

Hi all. I have been working (off and on) on installing an alarm to go off when my larger back-up bilge pump goes off. This has been a long project for a couple of reasons. First, I ended up installing new primary and secondary (de-watering) pumps, along with new wiring and switches. Of course, that took longer than anticipated . The second reason is that whenever I arrived at the boat and the wind was blowing, I left the tools in the car and went sailing! I am happy to say that I went sailing more than I worked on this project.

Last week I showed up with some of the tools and none of the proper parts. D#mn! It is about 50 miles back to my house so I went sailing again. Today I had the tools and parts and wired the horn to the pump wires coming from the float. That way the pump and horn operate, but I can disable the horn (in-line fuse) and the pump will keep working. Now that it is in, I hope it NEVER goes off while I am sleeping! To say that it will wake the dead is an understatement. The pump that it is wired to is set up to begin operating when the water in the bilge rises to about six inches more than required to operate the main pump. So if it goes off, "Houston, we have a problem".

Anyway, I am pleased to finish one more project and begin several others. Can't wait for the summer over-night trips. BTW, I learn so much from all of you.

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2009

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
High Water Alarm

Harbor Freight makes a water alarm that sells for $12

Cigerette package size with 3 foot lead on sensor that will go off with contact with water. Very Loud. Would install in 1-2 minutes.

There are also varations available at Lowes however not with sensor on wire
leads.
Old 06-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all. I have been working (off and on) on installing an alarm to go off when my larger back-up bilge pump goes off. This has been a long project for a couple of reasons. First, I ended up installing new primary and secondary (de-watering) pumps, along with new wiring and switches. Of course, that took longer than anticipated . The second reason is that whenever I arrived at the boat and the wind was blowing, I left the tools in the car and went sailing! I am happy to say that I went sailing more than I worked on this project.

Last week I showed up with some of the tools and none of the proper parts. D#mn! It is about 50 miles back to my house so I went sailing again. Today I had the tools and parts and wired the horn to the pump wires coming from the float. That way the pump and horn operate, but I can disable the horn (in-line fuse) and the pump will keep working. Now that it is in, I hope it NEVER goes off while I am sleeping! To say that it will wake the dead is an understatement. The pump that it is wired to is set up to begin operating when the water in the bilge rises to about six inches more than required to operate the main pump. So if it goes off, "Houston, we have a problem".

Anyway, I am pleased to finish one more project and begin several others. Can't wait for the summer over-night trips. BTW, I learn so much from all of you.

Thanks, Bill
Bill,

I missed this when you posted it a few days ago. Congrats on getting it all installed -- that is an arrangement I've often wished I had.

Also, glad to hear it took so long to get it done -- no sense in wasting all that good wind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-13-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The second reason is that whenever I arrived at the boat and the wind was blowing, I left the tools in the car and went sailing! I am happy to say that I went sailing more than I worked on this project.
That sounds familiar.