Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2009

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
epoxy to fiberglass question?

I think I found a reasonable and safe location to mount my Raymarine Autopilot computer box, at the aft end and at the top of the port aft berth. It is above where someone might kick it, while sleeping, and yet it is easy to get to if you crawl in head first.

Way to the aft, left of that opening port there is another flat vertical surface like the one up front on the left.

From what I have read here I should attach a wood strip to the fiberglass which is the inside wall of the cockpit and screw into that to mount the computer box. I have some 1/2 inch marine plywood that I will cut to a 2 inch width and notch to fit the slight curve shape of that wall. My question is what should I use to attach it to the painted fiberglass?

I searched this forum and I did find someone yelling about not using 3M 5200 ever and almost never use the 4200. My thought is that this might be the one time either it or the fast cure 3M 4200 might be the right material to use. Does that sound OK or are their better suggestions? I don't imagine having to remove this (as far out of the way it is) even if I remove the computer at some point.

cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
first what ever you use wipe the mounting surface down to dewax it with something that will remove wax.

secondly epoxy, 5200, 4200 all will work fine. also make sure if it is painted make sure the paint is solid, maybe even sand it down some under your strips to get to the glass
Old 06-10-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
Ron,
People yell about using 5200 as a sealant; not as a bonding agent. It's a damn good bonding agent.

5200 and marine epoxy take a long time to dry. I'd look at something quick like one of the acrylics or even (shame on me) hardware store 5 min epoxy. I really don't like trying to wedge gooey slippery pieces in place while waiting for glue to dry.
Old 06-10-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If you use epoxy, sand paint off first to bare fibreglass otherwise it will not bond well. 5200 should bond to clean paint-sand a bit and wipe with acetone before applying 5200.
Brian