SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Max time sanded bottom can go w/o paint?

995 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JomsViking 
#1 ·
Thanks so much for all the great info on the forum. It has helped me tremendously over the last year.

I have been taking down my HR Rasmus hull to glass over the last week. It just felt like time to inspect it, especially the rudder.

Thankfully, everything looks great; a couple of little dings over the last 33 years, but nothing major. It's a lot of work for some peace of mind.

Since I am taking it all the way down anyway, I'm going to Interprotect 2000 and VC17 the hull (Great Lakes).

Quick question...
How long can I leave my sanded hull (outdoors) before I hit it with Interprotect 2000?

I have to go out of town for 10 days. Bummed!
There are some spots that I grinded into the glass (dime size and smaller). Should I make certain to fill those before leaving?

Thanks so much.
Rorke

See less See more
#2 ·
Since it is not submerged, and provided that the humidity in the air is not high you don't have to do anything, even the exposed glassfibres should be saturated with resin. If they're not, you might have a problem there. Many boats are left like that to dry out the smaller scratches, and even sometimes during osmosis repairs. Do you have a moisture meter? Maybe it's even better to leave it a few days to dry the scratches out?
So unless it's raining for all 10 days, I'd say "no problem, mate" :)

Thanks so much for all the great info on the forum. It has helped me tremendously over the last year.

I have been taking down my HR Rasmus hull to glass over the last week. It just felt like time to inspect it, especially the rudder.

Thankfully, everything looks great; a couple of little dings over the last 33 years, but nothing major. It's a lot of work for some peace of mind.

Since I am taking it all the way down anyway, I'm going to Interprotect 2000 and VC17 the hull (Great Lakes).

Quick question...
How long can I leave my sanded hull (outdoors) before I hit it with Interprotect 2000?

I have to go out of town for 10 days. Bummed!
There are some spots that I grinded into the glass (dime size and smaller). Should I make certain to fill those before leaving?

Thanks so much.
Rorke

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply! Especially, since it is what I wanted to hear:laugher

I do not have a moisture meter. A guy had one at the yard though and said I should stop wasting my time and just drop it in the water already.

Thanks again

#4 ·
Don't forget to wash the bottom before coating it or doing anything else to get rid of dirt, wax, grease, etc.

#5 ·
SD has a really good point there, also a wipedown with acetone or whatever just before applying the first coat might be a good idea.

With regards to what your dock-buddy is saying, drying out the bottom for a while is never a bad idea after stripping it, and then apply several layers of Interprotect. I think the Interprotect is available in different colours, which you should use for the alternating layers - it is really hard to see how long you are if you're painting white over white :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.