Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2009

Rorke is on a distinguished road
Max time sanded bottom can go w/o paint?

Thanks so much for all the great info on the forum. It has helped me tremendously over the last year.

I have been taking down my HR Rasmus hull to glass over the last week. It just felt like time to inspect it, especially the rudder.

Thankfully, everything looks great; a couple of little dings over the last 33 years, but nothing major. It's a lot of work for some peace of mind.

Since I am taking it all the way down anyway, I'm going to Interprotect 2000 and VC17 the hull (Great Lakes).

Quick question...
How long can I leave my sanded hull (outdoors) before I hit it with Interprotect 2000?

I have to go out of town for 10 days. Bummed!
There are some spots that I grinded into the glass (dime size and smaller). Should I make certain to fill those before leaving?

Thanks so much.
Rorke
Old 06-10-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Since it is not submerged, and provided that the humidity in the air is not high you don't have to do anything, even the exposed glassfibres should be saturated with resin. If they're not, you might have a problem there. Many boats are left like that to dry out the smaller scratches, and even sometimes during osmosis repairs. Do you have a moisture meter? Maybe it's even better to leave it a few days to dry the scratches out?
So unless it's raining for all 10 days, I'd say "no problem, mate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorke View Post
Thanks so much for all the great info on the forum. It has helped me tremendously over the last year.

I have been taking down my HR Rasmus hull to glass over the last week. It just felt like time to inspect it, especially the rudder.

Thankfully, everything looks great; a couple of little dings over the last 33 years, but nothing major. It's a lot of work for some peace of mind.

Since I am taking it all the way down anyway, I'm going to Interprotect 2000 and VC17 the hull (Great Lakes).

Quick question...
How long can I leave my sanded hull (outdoors) before I hit it with Interprotect 2000?

I have to go out of town for 10 days. Bummed!
There are some spots that I grinded into the glass (dime size and smaller). Should I make certain to fill those before leaving?

Thanks so much.
Rorke
Old 06-10-2009

Rorke is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the reply! Especially, since it is what I wanted to hear

I do not have a moisture meter. A guy had one at the yard though and said I should stop wasting my time and just drop it in the water already.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget to wash the bottom before coating it or doing anything else to get rid of dirt, wax, grease, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
SD has a really good point there, also a wipedown with acetone or whatever just before applying the first coat might be a good idea.

With regards to what your dock-buddy is saying, drying out the bottom for a while is never a bad idea after stripping it, and then apply several layers of Interprotect. I think the Interprotect is available in different colours, which you should use for the alternating layers - it is really hard to see how long you are if you're painting white over white

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't forget to wash the bottom before coating it or doing anything else to get rid of dirt, wax, grease, etc.