Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
COST. A Bluesea 6-position Circuit breaker panel costs about $270. A fused 6-position BlueSea WeatherDeck switch panel costs about $110.

Flexibility. Circuit breaker panels usually come with 15 amp breakers stock. Replacing them with properly sized 1, 2.5 and 5 amp breakers is very expensive and hard to do. The Blue Sea fused panel uses fuses that are cheap and readily available. The WeatherDeck panels can also be mounted in the cockpit so that at the beginning of a long voyage you can turn on the breaker, and then turn the actual lights on and off in the cockpit as necessary.

Space.
The BlueSea 6-position circuit breaker panel is about 10.5" x 3.75" and can only be mounted horizontally. The BlueSea WeatherDeck panel is only 3.88" x 6", and can be mounted horizontally or vertically.

Safety. The BlueSea circuit breakers aren't protected from accidental shut off... the switches on the BlueSea WeatherDeck are.

Any questions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Hey sailingdog, now that I think about it, although I see how the Bluesea fuse panel is sufficient for the job, why would I not just add a regular circuit breaker panel instead? I mean, my panels are not above decks, so I don't need the waterproofing. It would be only a little bit more $ for a Microlog panel, no?

Just thinking out loud...
-J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I really like this nav light panel: navltindhome

It even has indicators to warn you when nav light goes out, though it is a bit pricey.
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My solution is less expensive and far more flexible. For instance, on my boat, I can use the anchor light as an all-around when motoring off shore and want to be seen at a greater distance—or as a substitute if the stern light or steaming light burn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
I really like this nav light panel: navltindhome

It even has indicators to warn you when nav light goes out, though it is a bit pricey.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-10-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I think for me it will come down to whether or not I feel like I need additional circuit breakers for other uses, or a different configuration. If I simply add on to what I have, I think that SD's recommendation is a good one. If I start replacing what I have (which I was originally eliminating as a possibility), then I might use circuit breakers.

My set up currently has a separate panel, mounter lower down than the one in my original post that has just a volt meter on it and switch to view voltage on each bank.

However, that panel is large enough for a microlog DC panel with digital volt/ammeter plus 6 breakers. Might be worth replacing that panel so I'd have a better meter, plus 6 new breakers. Of course, that's not the cheaper way to go.

Thanks for the input everyone--I gained some valuable info, as usual.
-J
Old 06-10-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I went the Blue Sea route and bought 8 AC/ 16DC panel and an additional 8dc Blue sea panel to rewire everything. When Boaters World went upside down I got them for about 1/3 price but would go this route anyway. The nice thing about these panels is they are prewired and well designed. I am replacing all my original C&C panels in the fall with these on a piano hinge so I have easier acccess than having to unscrew and lift out a whole panel.

My suggestion to youjoz is to look into the future when adding your panel. If in the next few years you will rewire and get things on seperate circuits which I recommend, buy an extra panel now and start. Each year you can add something similar to improve your whole system, like next year a similar brand panel with the battery meters and over a couple years upgrade the whole panel to new and have it uniform. Doing things piecemeal as opposed to a plan will make you wish you had later on. If you have original panels like mine you will want to replace them eventually.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-11-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...My suggestion to youjoz is to look into the future when adding your panel. If in the next few years you will rewire and get things on seperate circuits which I recommend, buy an extra panel now and start. Each year you can add something similar to improve your whole system, like next year a similar brand panel with the battery meters and over a couple years upgrade the whole panel to new and have it uniform. Doing things piecemeal as opposed to a plan will make you wish you had later on....
I agree chef2sail. I'm definitely trying to plan ahead now for what I'll be doing over the next few years.
Thanks
-J

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.