Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2009
560kts sucks/7kts perfect

Sailpilot is on a distinguished road
Replacement Key?

Hey Guys,

I've finally done what I knew was going to happen! I (yes water was involved) lost they ignition key for my 1995 40.5 hunter. I have a yanmar engine and control panel. Any suggestions on how to replace it or get it replaced?

Thanks for any help guys,
Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
It is my understanding Yanmar has "universal" keys so replacement shouldn't be an issue... I had misplaced mine and was able to borrow a universal key from my yard until I had found it...

Engine Key and Ignition Switch Index and Reference Yanmar Marine / Boat Parts, Accessories, Engines Marine Diesel Engines and Engine Parts from Torresen Marine's Marine Diesel Direct - Yanmar - Westerbeke - Universal - MASE

Tartan 28
Peregrine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Any Yanmar dealer can get you a replacement and they should be available online.Try Torresen Marine ( Ships Store Torresen. For older keys you need to buy the lock and key.
Old 06-10-2009

Thanks guys! That makes me feel much better. It was not a good day today... till you told me that.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
keys

Yanmar used to only make 2 keys one for the "A" panel and one for the "B" panel. When I ran a boatyard I used to carry both keys with me , It save a lot of time running around and getting keys from the office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 06-10-2009

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
My experience with Yanmar and keys has not been so positive; you have a newer model, however, so you may have more luck. I have a late seventies 2QM20 and the engine panel was in a particularly bad spot in the cockpit which resulted in the key getting stepped on at least once per voyage. Knowing that it would inevitably break, and not having a spare, I went to the dealer thinking they could just sell me a spare key or two, and I'd be good to go.

Nope. Gotta buy a whole new switch, they don't make those keys anymore. Oh, and that's an old panel, and the new switches don't fit, so you have to replace the panel too. To the tune of $150 or so.

I just put in a push-button switch instead after the key finally gave up the ghost. No more worries about it going over-board, snapping at a bad time, or otherwise getting lost.
Old 06-10-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Paying it forward

A fellow sailnet member gave me a book for free, so it's my turn to pay it forward. I have a Yanmar motor and about 6 spare keys. I'll send you one if you want. Otherwise, their like $8 each.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I have 3GM30F motor with a 1992-era control panel. Motor is a 1992 vintage.

DrB

-------------------------------------

ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST -

In drgamble's post, the link brings you to the "key type" page for Yanmar motors. The key code for my engine is: 124070-91290. If your engine is different, my "key" gift won't help you.

Last edited by DrB; 06-10-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Take the switch out of the panel and off to the locksmith and he will make you a new key and some spares.

That's what they do.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 06-12-2009

Update:

Thanks for all your help guys. I contacted a local Yanmar repair shop and they ordered me a copy... and spare! $9 for each.

Thanks again for all your help.