Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Better way to strip RG-8 / RG 213?

I was making up a bunch of cables with PL-259 connectors and it occurred to me that there MUST be a spiffy way to pull the polyethylene or whatever insulation off the center conductor. I've been doing this for a long, long time and it remains the one aspect of the job that drives me nuts.
Any advice??
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
*shrug* I always just ran a knife around it and pulled it off. Never found it a problem.

Jim
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They make these pretty nice Coax cable stripping tools... but using a knife is pretty good too, with a bit of practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
The nice thing about the dedicated coax strippers is that they always strip the right amount at each level and never nick the centre conductor. Not cheap but not expensive - $20 even from amazon.com. Handy to have around.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 06-11-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yeah, but....

.....trouble with at least some of the dedicated coax strippers (like the one I have and never use) is that they don't strip off the right amount in the right places.

Here's a proven way to do RG-8/213/214, etc.

1. Strip off a goodly amount -- about 2" -- of the outer covering, leaving the shield exposed.

2. With a soldering iron, carefully tin the braid all around for an inch or so from the inner end, i.e., back to where the outer covering is cut.

3. Using a good, sharp tubing cutter -- like you use for copper tubing -- cut thru the tinning and the shield (or shields in the case of 214) approximately 3/4" from the inner end (where the outer covering is cut).

4. Be careful not to cut too deeply...just enough to get thru the braid.

5. Strip the braid away. This leaves the inner conductor and its covering, plus the tinned part of the braid.

6. Using any common wire stripper, strip the inner conductor covering back to about 1/8" from the tinned braid.

7. Fit a new PL-259 over the coax and SCREW it onto the outer covering. This takes some force, and is most easily done in a vice or by holding the connector gently with a pair of pliers.

8. Watch thru the holes in the PL-259, and screw it onto the coax just enough so that the tinned braid completely covers the holes from the inside. Stop..that's enough screwing (who'da thunk it?).

9. Solder the tip and the braid thru the 4 holes. Cut off any excess of the tip.

10. Finish up by: (a) testing with a meter to be sure there's continuity and no short; and (b) putting adhesive heat shrink over the coax and 1/2" or so of the barrel (AFTER the screw-on part of the connector has been slid into place!).

Neat. Secure. Functional. Durable.

Try a couple first...you'll get the hang of it, then swear by this method as I do. Take your time.

When I get time, I'll take and post some pix of this on my website.

Bill
Old 06-11-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
With some modifications, I'm generally with Bill's technique...except the part about using ordinary wire strippers to *shrug* peel away the center conductor covering. I defy anyone to just slide it off...that's the part that irritates me.

Incidentally, that center conductor, with said covering makes a reasonable substitute for GTO-15 . It isn't long term UV protected, but it has comparable or superior insulation qualities/

Anyway, comments are appreciated, many thanks.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 06-11-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I dunno. I have done video installations with 120 connectors on Belden 8281 75 ohm coax. 240 connectors spread across 4 racks from video patch bays to routers to my video servers. Each server required 5 BNCs (1 composite video, 3 component video and 1 blackburst timing). Cutting component video cables to exact lengths took as long as the connectors. Doing it by manually without a stripper would have been a nightmare

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie