Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-12-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
attaching wires to cabin roof

Hi everyone,

Another ridiculously simple question.

Sunday, I'm going down to rewire the boat. It should be mostly easy. My only concern is how do I attach the wires to the underside of the cabin roof, between the headliner and the fiberglass. I can think of a few possibilities:

a. Screw some cable-tie-tiedown thingies to the ceiling. This will penetrate the core though, even from the underside I'm not a fan of doing that. But maybe it's not that big a deal. This also will hold up to 5 16 gauge wires in a bundle, which may be a noticeable lump under the headliner.

b. Epoxy cable-tie-tiedown thingies to the ceiling. Won't penetrate the core, but that epoxy takes a while to set up. Also has the "lump" problem as above

c. Lay the 5 16 gauge wires in parallel, and epoxy some little strips of glass with a spacer of just that width, every 18". This will avoid excessive lumpiness but seems like a big time sink, as I have to somehow keep all that stuff on the ceiling until the epoxy hardens

d. Have the headliner itself support the wires in parallel, don't have any other support. Won't do this if it violates ABYC standards, which require support every 18". If the headliner counts as legitimate support, then this can be under consideration, but even then I'm not a fan of loose wires.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend either epoxying a conduit to the overhead, above the head liner or using WeldMount fittings. The WeldMount system uses a methacrylate adhesive that cures relatively quickly. BTW, you can use five-minute epoxy for non-structural, interior uses, like this one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2009
Iroquois MkII

A conduit? Thin-diameter PVC pipe, or something else along those lines?

Yes, I do wallow in my own ignorance, thank you for asking!
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thin PVC pipe would work but is probably too thick. There is flat wiring conduit that is sold at Home Depot that might be a better choice. A better choice might be to epoxy thin shims and then glue a thin plastic sheet to the shims to make a custom conduit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-14-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
The flat conduit is made by a couple of companies: Panduit, Wiremold and Panduit come to mind. It is available at most Rona, Home Depot, Lowes and any decent electrical supply. I used it in my previous condo to put in a ceiling light where I had no power and a concrete slab above me. It was designed for 120VAC and will work no problem for 12VDC. Just remember to derate your wiring for capacity (each wire carries less power) due to bundling and enclosing in a conduit.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 06-14-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Does he really need a conduit for 12VDC marine cable? I found some very small wire tie mounting points at West Marine. I used adhesive (sometimes 5200, sometimes 4200 depending upon where) to mount these, then wire tie the cable to them. I also use them to mount conduit, but if there is no room for conduit, I just mount the wires directly.
Old 06-14-2009
Telstar 28

The reason for conduit is primarily to make running future wires and doing maintenance simpler. It also allows one to install insulation above the overhead in a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Does he really need a conduit for 12VDC marine cable? I found some very small wire tie mounting points at West Marine. I used adhesive (sometimes 5200, sometimes 4200 depending upon where) to mount these, then wire tie the cable to them. I also use them to mount conduit, but if there is no room for conduit, I just mount the wires directly.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-14-2009
Iroquois MkII

I bought some of the flat conduit, but of course didn't have the right screw bits to get the headliner down (little square ones screw holes...).

In any case the foam backing for the headliner is a little less than a quarter inch thick, so that conduit is too thick, it would make a huge bulge under the headliner. I only have 5 16-gauge wires (hooray for LED lighting) to run to the mast, so I'll probably just find something very thin and flat to hold them in place every 18" and epoxy that to the ceiling.

Not very forward looking, but it'll be a few years before I'm in a position to be buying fancy broadband radar or whatever the latest thingamajig is...